Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Lacey Jane

Default Exotic Western Caribbean or Southern Carribean which cruise

Which cruise ship and itinerary do you like better for Jan. 25, 2004 HELP me decide for 8 adults mid 40's we like to take a cab to a beautiful beach for clear , calm, warm waters (there are not any snorklers in our group) or we like to book a shore excursion on our own Norwegian Sun Exotic Western Caribbean leaving out of Miami, Florida going to Jamaica , George Town Grand Cayman, Costa Maya Mexico and Cozumel Mexico OR Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean leaving out of San Juan going to Aruba, Willemstad Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas They are leaving the decision up to me for the group ( I am sure I will also hear complaints) What do you think about these two different cruises ?? Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Exotic Western Caribbean or Southern Carribean which cru

Hi Lacey Jane,
I would definetley recommend the southern caribbean. Aruba has many gorgeous beaches- try Palm Beach, located behind the beautiful Radisson hotel. In St Thomas, try Magan's bay or better yet- head over to St John on a Shore Excursion to visit Trunk Bay. I have been to Curacao, but not to the beaches there. The town is gorgeous, and clean, full of flower boxes and terrific architecture. Try having a drink at the outdoor cafe overlooking the bridge. (You definetley cannot miss seeing the bridge-just don't get stuck on it when it opens!). Never been to St Maarten, but I will. If you need a research- reading recommendation-try Foddor's Caribbean cruises and ports of call. You will get all the info you need to make a great choice. One more thing to consider-my T.A. just warned me not to go to Jamaica. She said it wasn't safe.
Happy Cruising, Margo
Old March 25th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Exotic Western Caribbean or Southern Carribean which

since you are looking for great beaches, i would choose the Adventure of the Seas. The beach at the Seaquarium in Curacao is a really nice beach. St. Thomas- Cruz Bay, Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay are top picks- these beaches are on St. John's Island. St. Marteen - Orient Beach is the most popular of the beaches, its clothing optional. This is really hopping place, lots of things going on.
Old March 31st, 2003, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I'd do the Southern cruise, again

I did it 2 years ago aboard Grandeur of the Sea. Aruba and Curacao are really nice. Better than St T IMHO. Skip the ships excursions. Really easy to just take a taxi to a nice beach on either island. On Curacao we went to hotel, walked unhindered thru their lobby and enjoyed their beach the whole afternoon.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:22 PM
Admiral

I like the Adventurer itinerary. My daughter is going on it in 4 weeks for her honeymoon.
Can't help with Curacao, do know there are good beaches. Aruba, take a bus or cab out to the area of the "highrise" hotels. That will be Palm Beach. Ask cab driver to drop you near Pelican Pier. There is a restaurant, snack bar, bathrooms and souvenir shop on the pier. In St Martins an alternative beach would be Dawn Beach. Less crowded.
Attracts, locals, folks from nearby upscale houses and condos and a few cruise ship passengers. Restaurant, bar, beach food, chair rentals and souvenirs . St Thomas,
Maegens Bay is beautiful but can get crowded . Alternatives (without going to St John) are Coki or Saphire beaches.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Barbaralee
Default Re: Re: Exotic Western Caribbean or Southern Carribean which

I would def. do Southern. I went a few years ago on Rhapsody and loved every port.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Exotic Western Caribbean or Southern Carribean w

Hi Lacey,
I'll also jump on the band wagon and recommend the Adventures of the Seas for the Southern Caribbean itinary. Its absolutely my favorite, just did Radiance out of SJ recently and it was great. It can be quite port intensive, but all ports will be a new adventure and if you are in the mood to just sit onboard and relax, you can do that too.

Do let us know what you finally book, OK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 23rd, 2003, 03:30 PM
Fusun

Hi Lacey Jane:

I just came back from my cruise on Sunday the 20th of April. We deported from San Juan on the Carnival Destiny, we went to St. Thomas and while there went to Cokki Beach and it was just beautiful, I know you mentioned no snorkelers, but I never did it either but thanks to my friends I do not regret it, it was the most beautiful thing I can imagine. This was my first cruise with my friends, we went 4 girls just to relax and have a good time. We met a lot of intereting people as well. We visited as well Martinique, Barbados and Aruba. Aruba we went to Palm Beach (I got my hair braided, love it), the beach is very nice, it rained when we got there but even the rain is relaxing in beautiful Aruba. Afterwards we went on a 4x4 Jeep Adventure, it is a group of about 8 cars and you go to about 4 different places and the fourth place is the beach where you can sit and enjoy the sun and beach again. This trip will be unforgettable, i hope you all have a good time as well. would love to hear about it.

Take Care
Fusun