Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2003, 10:26 AM
First Mate

Default Rays in Belize or Cozumel??

We will port in Belize which offers "Shark Ray Alley" and later in Cozumel which offers "Sting Ray City", so my question is: Which is better? At which port do we choose something other than the ray experience?

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Gaborn65

Default Re: Rays in Belize or Cozumel??

I can only tell you about Belize. We did the Shark Ray Alley last June. I would do this excursion again in a heart beat. Not only do you swim with rays you can also touch sand sharks. On this excursion they take you to Ambergris Caye, that is where Temptation Island was filmed. It is a very small island and very small town, but we enjoyed the experience. In Cozumel I think you just stand up in the water and the rays swim by you, in Belize you snorkel with them. The only problem it is a 45 minute power boat ride to the site but it has some beautiful scenary.
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:12 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Rays in Belize or Cozumel??

Thanks...our first cruise and we are "making our list and checking it twice" !! Can't wait!!

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Admiral

We did the Western Car. cruise last night. The Sting Rays in Belize were great. So many sharks and rays plus various other fish. The reef is world famous and a must see. In Cozumel we took the jeep safari. It was great. The guides were wonderful. Each person (groups of 4) drive there own jeeps caravan style. I was concerned we'd travel really slow and boring but that was not the case. We could barely keep up. We bounced to the point of hitting our heads. It was a great excursion. I would highly recommend both of these tours.
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:58 PM
DFritz

Default Re: Re: Rays in Belize or Cozumel??

We are going to Belize on the Carnival Imagination this June and we are considering the Shark Ray Alley Tour. Does anyone know how deep the water is and how much does Carnival charge for this Excursion?
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Rays in Belize or Cozumel??

The water where we were was about 25 feet deep. It was absolutely breathtaking. We did NCL and it was 82.00 per person. That included lunch. I would have to say it was one of the most enjoyable excursion I have ever been on. That or Roatan.
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Yeoman

I agree that Belize is an exciting snorkel trip. I wonder if Denise is meaning Grand Caymen instead of Cozumel though. We didn't to Grand Cayman because we were saving our money for the Belize excursion. We hope to go back to grand Cayman and see sting ray city another time. We wanted to experience the reef also so we thought we could do rays and reefs together and so glad we did. Didn't see any sharks, but the rays and the reef and beautiful fish made up for it.

Luanne
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sting Ray city is indeed in Cayman, and it is awesome. The water is very shallow so you are able to stand up and feed them, or if you're up to it "dance" with them by doing the "stingray shuffle" by holding them and moving side to side as they try to swim away. We did a "reef snorkle and stingray city tour" offered by Celebrity. The reef is stunning (we saw a shark and an eel) and the number of stingrays that approach you is amazing. I and an underwater camera and took a picture of my daughter swimming amid about 20 rays.
Old June 15th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Beginner

Default Belize Zoo & G Cayman Turtle Farm??

My grandmother is in a wheelchair and we will be going to Western Carrib. I would like to take her on the Belzie Tour that goes to the Belize Zoo and alsoin Grand Cayman to the Turtle Farm. Does anyone know or has done these and think the tours would accomodate the wheelchair? She can get out to walk up a few steps but I just didn't know if the terrain would be OK? Anyone know? Thanks
Old June 15th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Beginner

My grandmother is in a wheelchair and we will be going to Western Carrib. I would like to take her on the Belzie Tour that goes to the Belize Zoo and alsoin Grand Cayman to the Turtle Farm. Does anyone know or has done these and think the tours would accomodate the wheelchair? She can get out to walk up a few steps but I just didn't know if the terrain would be OK? Anyone know? Thanks
Old June 15th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Beginner

Default No Subject

Post Edited (06-15-03 23:14)
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Passenger

If you have already been to stingray city, is there a reason to go to Shark Ray Alley or is it more of the same?

Thanks.
Old June 16th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Yeoman

Eric J.
We wondered the same thing and decided to do only one of them, since our cruise hit both Islands. We decided on Shark ray alley since we would be going to the second largest barrier reef we thought it would be neat to enjoy the reef and see other things. I guess I would say that shark ray alley is a little more primitive in that you snorkel from a boat. There is no land in sight. The water is deeper can be up to 25 ft. A little more rougher water and the chance to see nurse sharks. I can't really say which would be better since we haven't done stingray city but we loved shark ray alley. saw all kinds of fish, the reef and stingrays. My husband and a few others saw sharks. The sting rays here weren't as tame and you could really see them swim since they didn't just sit and wait for people and the water was deeper.
I don't know if I answered you good enough since I had nothing to compare it with. If you are more adventuresome I'd say shark ray alley is a place for that.

Luanne