Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Default stingray city tour operators

Hi there, can anyone recommend a good tour company for stingray city tours(would like to have at least one other snorkelling stop as well). I've heard of several, but not sure who is good. I also need a boat that is easy to get back into from the water. Can anyone recommend anyting?
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: stingray city tour operators

Hi Readytogo,
I always year good feedback from Capt. Marvin, but I think he only goes out the Sting Ray City, but its worth checking out:

Just make sure you do get out to snorkel with the Sting Rays, its a great expierence, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:49 PM
First Mate

We just used tour set up by the ship. The tour operator and boat captain were marvelous. We brought our own snorkeling gear since we snorkel many times but the gear they were handing out seemed to be very nice. Be prepared for lots of first time snorkelers and time spent on instruction on how to use the gear etc. We just put our gear on and hit the water first. The Sting Ray City tour stops in about 2 ft. of water.
No problem getting back into the boat. Kids tend to scream alot when the sting rays slide up your leg. Fun stuff....great experience.
BY the way, we did the StingRay City AND snorleling tour all in one. You can snorkel about 100 yards to a nice reef that is shallow. Saw a nice greeen Moray there.
Sign up early since the tour fills up. I wrote a cruise review a long time back on the ship Century you might try to find.
Good luck
Chuck
Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

you truly can't go wrong with either Captain Marvin or Captain Bryan's tours, very good, reputable tours.
Old June 17th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

How do I get info about Capt. Bryan's? Do they have a web site? I'm thinking about using Capt. Marvin's but I would like to compare.
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

Yes Janice he does have a web site, same as his name, i believe.
Old June 18th, 2003, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

I have booked at Native Way Sports. Nothing upfront, $25/person, 2.5 hours.

Old June 18th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

There are a number of them right there at the tender docks ahnd I have heard nice things about Marvin and Bryan. We once did Capt. Duncan and sorry but I can not recommend them. Not all that much savings from the ships tours, small old boat, no bait to feed the Rays, old equipment with suspect sanitation, and the 'refreshments' were kool-aid and water in an old milk jug.
Jim

Old June 18th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Passenger

Hi after 4 months of research I decided to book w/ Soto's Cruise Tours
They have had all positive reviews and the price is great $19pp
They do 3 stops and it is 9-12( and they also have another later one but not good if your on a cruise.)

Good Luck
Carolyn
I will be going 7/23/03 Grand Princess.
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Mike H

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

Larry,

I have also booked with Native way. Have you gone on your cruise yet? If you have I'm wondering how you liked Nativeway. We are leaving Friday.

Thanks,

Mike
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Nina Pustejovsky

Default Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

Hi guys, I will be going on the conquest in a week. How much is the stingray tour, Martha ray rafting ( Jamica) and the Catamarin snorkling an sailing if I book on the ship?. Can anyone help me. Should I book threw the internet instead. I enjoy reading yall advice. Thanks
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

Nina, after much research, I signed with Nativway travel for $25 per person for 3.5 hours - includes snorkelling at coral gardens. Was very impressed with their responses to my questions. I can't recall the exact price for the ship tour, but i think it was around $55. The main difference is that the ship tour will be on a large boat with hundreds of people - have heard it can be difficult to actualy get near a stingray. With Nativeway, you go on a small boat with a personal tour guide (about 20 people?). They position you away from the maddening crowd. I highly recommend them - I"m not allowed to post their website but if you search for nativeway tours grand cayman, you should find them. hope this helps. I can't wait - i;m going in sept. and will be with the stingrays on sept. 11. sooo excited.
Old July 16th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Myles

That is a good price, however there are some differences for the price. If you're comparing it to the Stingray City and Island Tour offered by Carnival, the ship's tour includes unlimited complimentary rum punch after departing Stingray City and as you would guess, breaks into a party atmosphere with dancing and caribbean music. It's not too differcult to drink $30.00 worth of rum punch. Also, Stingray City is quite large and you will see by the number of boats out there, it is very easy to get close to the Stingrays no matter how many people are there. They even give you bait to feed them and they will literally climb up your back or chest and you can kiss them if you like. You just need to decide if you want to see the Stingrays or see the Stingrays and PARTY. In either case, I'm sure you'll have a fun time.
Old July 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: stingray city tour operators

Go in mid-August. Let me know how it turns out.