Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default overweight and snorkeling?

Hi all!

My fiancee and I are going on our first cruise for our honeymoon in August. We are doing RCI's Enchantment out of Galveston. I am interested in snorkeling for one of our shore excursions. However, my fiancee and I are both pretty overweight (I weigh about 240, he weighs about 300). We are both young (I'm 25 and he's 33) and in good health, despite our weight. We can both walk several miles, can walk upstairs/hills without much trouble, and we can both swim. However, because neither of us have ever been snorkeling before, I was wondering if our weight is going to be a problem. Does anyone know or have any experience with this?

Thank you,

Becky
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Andee

Default Re: overweight and snorkeling?

The mask, snorkel and fins shouldn't be a problem. The vest might not wrap around you, but it's usually optional in the water. I always tell my husband that I'm built for comfort, not for speed.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: overweight and snorkeling?

i shouldn't be a problem, my husband is a large, stocky man and he has never had any problems snorkeling. The only problem he ran into was fins not being wide enough for his feet. He likes to snorkel so he invested in a pair at home.
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: overweight and snorkeling?

i'm hoping it won't be a problem because i'm overweight too and i'm going on a cruise in september. going to stingray city and my only concern is about being able to climb in and out of the boat (i can't pull myself out). hoping for the best! all the best to you. i'm sure it will be fine.
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: overweight and snorkeling?

Becky,
I think your going to have a great time myself. Relax and leave all fears at home. This is going to be a life time expierance for you, that you will remember for the rest of your life.
I'm a real healthy guy too, 6' 3 -280 pounds,not to mention 43 years old.. I had no trouble climbing or floating.

Happy Cruising
David
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: overweight and snorkeling?

I am not a skinny person any more. I am overweight but I snorkel all the time. I have cruised once already this year and twice last year snorkeled almost every stop. I float quite easily, on the other hand my daughter is 5'3" 110 lbs. and sinks like a rock, she can swim like a fish but can't float worth a damn.
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: overweight and snorkeling?

in reagards to getting on and off the boat at Stingray City. Rest assured you will not have a problem, most of the boats have ladders that lead to a platform you sit on the platform and scoot into the water which by the way is only 3-4' deep. Plenty of nice folks to assist if needed. Its not like you are trying to get in and out of a rowboat or dinghy.
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Yeoman

I'm overweight too and high blood pressure also and 43 years old and I did just fine snorkeling the last two years on cruises. We did the shark ray alley in Belize and the dive-in instructor seemed to be trying to talk me out of it even though my blood pressure is controlled by medication. My husband is a paramedic and he had faith in my health and weight so I did too. I did just fine and there was a ladder to climb into the boat. My husband is more in shape and even he was a little exhausted after the hour snorkeling in shark ray alley. I know he did dive down under the water to touch the stingrays and got more exercise than I did but I did good myself. The life vests will be adjustable and will fit I'm sure. If you snorkel on your own by just renting gear on an Island, then you don't have to wear a vest. Only ship excursions require them for liabiltiy. You will not sink without them in salt water anyway. Salt water has a natural bouyancy to it.

Depending on what Islands you go to, most places have beautiful snorkeling that you can go to on your own and not only save money by not booking them from the cruise, but then you don't have the life vest worry. Every Island that we were on in the last two years, we did our own snorkeling except shark ray alley in Belize, we did book it from the ship. We even had a land vaction in Hawaii and just took our own snorkeling gear and found a small beach at the end of Waikiki Beach and just snorkeled away. If you see others snorkeling or heard about it from others, chances are it is safe. Bays are the best place to snorkel so you don't have huge waves coming in and pulling you to far away.

Hope this helps and happy snorkeling. The Caribbean is beautiful to snorkel.

Luanne
Old June 28th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Beginner

Go for it, I haven't been in the Carribean, but did lots of snorkeling while in Maui. I'm 300+ and can snorkel for hours. I mostly just glide along the surface, then dive down when something catches my eye.

IMHO body fat tend to keep one afloat easier than heavier muscle mass. I can float along like a inner tube for hours and won't sink.

I'm planning a cruise that includes at least 3 snorkel side trips this September, I'll probably take my own fins and mask to avoid the hassle of renting them.

Go, have a blast and take a zillion pictures!!!
Old June 30th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Barbaralee

I am overwight and have snorkled on every trip. When we went to StingRay City on an excursion made on the ship the boat to the rays had different size vests to wear. So what if I had the xl one-I was determined I was getting into the water and enjoying myself! I had no problem with the vest at St. Johns either and that came from the stand set up on the beach.

I have a bad rt. knee and hip and am always wondering if I'll get in and out ok. At STC the boat had a ladder that went into the water and it wasn't a big step up to get on the bottom rung to get back in. I was worried about that becuse I have NO arm strength to hoist myself up if its a big step!

Does anyone know if the boat that takes you snorkeling at Planacar (sp.) reef in Cozumel has an easy water entry ? In Grand Cayman on the trip to the sites just off the beach there is was a sloped platform you walk down into the water. That was definately the easiest.

In any case-go and have fun. Someone is there to give a helping hand.

Barb
Old July 25th, 2003, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Snorkeling is nothing more than floating with a tube in your mouth. You should have no problems. The only tricky part is getting used to breathing through the tube and diving down to get a closer look. Just be careful on shallow reefs. If you touch the reef, you can easily destroy it and you may also touch fire coral or spiny fish that may irritate your skin. Some reefs, like the one near sting ray city in Grand Cayman are very shallow and when the tide comes and goes can hang you up. So just make sure you have enough clearance.

Enjoy!
Old August 10th, 2003, 11:18 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie
Default Re: Re: overweight and snorkeling?

We are going to be in the Mexican Riviera in November and I would like to do a snorkeling excursion. Does anyone have any experience with snorkling excursions in this area? Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan or Cabo. I am 250 and hubby is 300. Never having been snorkling before, I never even gave any thought about having to get in and out of a boat. I just though we would wade in from the beach and go...lol.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old August 11th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: overweight and snorkeling?

Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that I've been on this excursion, and the ladder goes down into the water almost to the floor of the ocean. I loved Stingray City, so I hope you have a great time.

Donna