Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:15 PM
First Mate

Default valuables while snorkeling

hi there, was reading some previous messages about what to do with your valuables while you are snorkelling (ie. on stingray city tours). i plan to take a knapsack with me on all day trips with camera (regular and underwater), wallet, sunglasses, water, food... I've heard people say to put valuables in a ziploc baggie, but what does this mean? do you take them with you in the water? this doesn't seem possible. is it unsafe to leave the stuff on the boat with the tour operators? would appreciate any input. by the way, i've just discovered this whole message system (i'm not computer savvy) and it's amazing! i've learned so much already. going on my first cruise in september (paradise -carnival - western carribean). thanks for the insights.
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: valuables while snorkeling

Readytogo - we did the Stingray City swim in Grand Caymen, and we left our stuff right up on the boat. We put our towels and minimal cash/credit card in a zippered beach bag. You are pretty much right next to the boat the whole time, or at least can keep an eye out. We really had no qualms about leaving things behind, although I would secure cash, etc. inside something and not easy to get at.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise experience. Remember it's what you make of it, and don't sweat the small stuff! Feeding the stingrays was an amazing experience and I know you will love it!! You will be able to take really good pictures, so definitely bring your camera.

Cheers,
MaryC
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: valuables while snorkeling

Don't worry about your valuables left on board while you snorkel. The boat is liable, and besides, what could happen? Think about it! We took 2 trips with no problems at all. The Ziplocs are to make sure your stuff doesn't get wet.

Post Edited (05-16-03 22:48)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old May 17th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've never had a problem leaving stuff on the boats while snorkeling. Just be sure to bring what you need that day, enough cash for the day, leave the rest in your cabin safe, bring a credit card if you think you'll need it for shopping, otherwise don't even carry that if you don't plan on using it, but otherwise, your valuables should be fine, just be watchful and careful.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: valuables while snorkeling

as the others have stated, bring just the basics for the day, we have not had any problems, leave valuables locked in the safe in your stateroom. If you want to you can purchase waterproof pouches that hang around your neck to put your credit cards/ships card and a few $$ in.
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Yeoman

We have always taken a disp. land camera and underwater camera to the beaches and shores if there are no lockers or safe places. We have a really good 35mm camera that we only bring to an island if we are not going to snorkel or swim. Then if someone steals the disp land camera while we are in the water we will only be out a few pictures. Just to tell you that we were on a beach in Roatan, Honduras, a very poor 3rd world country and didn't lose any of our beach items while we snorkeled. We expected it to be gone and were pleasantly surprised that nothing was gone.
I will tell of a harrowing experience that we just had last week on the Norway cruise. We usually have our driver's license, and cruise card, one credit card and some cash in a wallet and then in a ziplock bag and my husband has a pocket in his trunks and this wallet has a rope that has a hook to hook it to his trunk. We were going to snorkel in St. John and it's a pain, but because St. John is a US territory, we had to go through customs when we arrived on the island. We had just been to a foreign port of St. Martin and then entered the US again. We had to take our birth certificates with us for that reason. So here we had the stuff I mentioned before, plus our birth certificates all in the wallet. We would have been fine, but my husband had taken the rope off of the wallet the day before because it didn't fit in the pocket of the shorts he had on. We were at Trunk Bay and didn't realize they had lockers and weren't sure how safe the beach was so he decided that the wallet seemed snug enough in his pocket so we snorkeled away. About 45 minutes later, he said that the wallet had come out of his pocket and he was sure that because of some air in the ziplock bag it would float. so we were swimming back with our head out of the water looking for a black floating square. Of course I was wondering what in the world we were going to do, but at the same time glad that we were in the US so would probably spend the rest of the day at the courthouse having a bunch of documents faxed to us. About 2/3 of the way back to the beach, the lifeguard got on the loud speaker and called my husbands name. I knew then that someone had found it since that would be the only way they would know his name. What a lucky break. The life guard said he found it floating in the water near shore. He said they scan the beach because it happens alot. He said that it would be safe to leave it on the beach and later found out there were lockers there too. Live and learn from your mistakes!! We will never do that again.

Luanne

I guess I should clarify that I sailed on the Norway that doesn't dock in St. Thomas so we took a ferry dircetly from the ship to St. John. If you dock at St. Thomas things will proabably be handled differently. I just wated to let people know that sometimes in the excitement of the day, you can get careless or make a wrong decision.

Post Edited (05-22-03 09:09)