Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Hope2Cruise

Default Hope this isn't a dumb question

going on shore excursion or catamaran trips etc. will be fun for my husband, and daughters but I cannot be in the direct sun for long periods of time (even though I wear 45/50 sunblock) due to a blood condition (hereditary) (erythropoeticprotporferia) (yep...it's true) and so I am asking if on these excursions there are places in the shade (like on the Catamaran or other raft/boat rides or island tours so I can avoid long periods in the sun. Thanks...I just want to know so I don't end up getting sick.
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hope this isn't a dumb question

that's a very good question its your health after-all. It all depends upon what excursions you are looking into. Most of the larger catamarans have some type of shaded areas. Most tour boats have overhangs you can sit under or a small cabin. Most jeep tours are out in the open. On some beaches you will be able to find a tree to sit under. I think, but i am not 100% sure that there is a prescription sunscreen available that has a very high SPF - ask your doctor or dermotologist. There are always bus/van tours available on the islands- Your travel agent would be able to find out the information on the boats and beaches for you.
Old June 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default sun protection

I have a readheat child who does NOT tan, he freckles and pinks then burns badly. My point is that he needs either to stay out of the sun, not practical in the summer with an outdoor pool, or he needs strong protection. My wife, being the protective mom she is, went online and found long sleeve shirts designed to be worn in the water AND provide protection from the sun. You might not know this, but a white t-shirt, especially when it is wet, provides practically no UV protection. These sunblock shirts are equal to spt 35, even when wet. They also give physical protection from abrasion.
http://www.sun-protective-clothing.com/
http://store.yahoo.com/coolibar/index.html

The other thing to consider is a dive skin or wet suit. A dive skin is a full jump suit that divers wear in warm water when they don't need exposure protection due to the temp. Check out Divegoddess http://www.divegoddess.com/ for some of the more wild examples of dive skins. Others to look are are http://www.hendersonusa.com/product_hotskin.html

I know that you asked about shade during shore excursions, but I hope this will help, especially if you were wanting to get in the water where shade is unlikely. as opposed to the boat ride out when shade is a possibility