Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default White Pass & Yukon Railway

Has anyone done this excursion? I've been hearing alot of mixed reviews. We are booked for the 7:40am run. We have that time because we are doing the kayaking in the lake afterwards.

Any comments on this?
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: White Pass & Yukon Railway

We really enjoyed it. If you like a lot of beautiful scenery and history, you'll enjoy it. If you want something more active than sitting in a train for 3 hours, you should probably skip it. We only did 2 excursions, the White Pass Railway and a helicopter landing. The helicopter definitely came in first place, but the scenery on the train is different. We have many good pictures from the train trip - pictures you wouldn't get from any other excursion. The train goes about 20 miles up then reverses and returns to Skagway, so you see the same thing twice. (You have to sit on the opposite side of the car so everyone gets a chance to see both sides.) I believe you can take the train a little farther than we went and get off at a tourist recreation of the gold rush days. For this excursion, you take a motorcoach back. This would be more expensive, but maybe less boring for those who would get bored sitting and just watching scenery go by.
Old June 5th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: White Pass & Yukon Railway

Hi Kelley,
We too enjoyed the train ride, although a little on the long side, I actually fell asleep on the way back, but still a great excursion to see more of Alaska. WE also did the early one and had no problem with fog or rain, hopefully you'll be lucky too and be able to see all the beauty up there, enjoy.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Passenger

I too did this excursion, it is beautiful! We took the train up and then took the motorcoach back, you stop at a little place, I forget the name of it. but you get to pan for gold and see a show. It was alot of fun.
Alaska is so beautiful, I'm thinking of going back next year.
Have a great cruise.
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Admiral

We too went on the AM tour and it worked out great. We had a little time to walk into Skagway after, went back to the ship for a quick lunch and took a 2nd. tour early in the afternoon. We flew to Haines and then did the Chilkot River Eagle Preserve Float. A busy day but a great way to experience this beautiful area & state.
Old June 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: White Pass & Yukon Railway

Better than the train (unless you just want to ride on the train), is to rent a car from the Avis dealership there and drive the same route. There is only a few miles that are different. You'll have more freedom to go beyond where the railroad goes. The road beyond the where you turn around on this excursion is awesome it is very varied, and at times looks like the Badlands of the US. From Skagway, drive at least 75 to get to Emerald Lake I believe it is. The minerals in the water make it look like a tropical lake. I really enjoyed this drive, and got to stop at numerous places along the way.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: White Pass & Yukon Railway

Depends what you like...we found it a bit boring because we've
seen mountains/scenery similar to this before BUT it was nice and relaxing.
We went in the PM and had no problems.

Just a word of advice, don't sit in the cabin at the very back or very front. We sat
in the very last cabin going up the White Pass which ends up being the very
first cabin on the way back. The black smoke coming from the caboose filled
our cabin and it was NOT a good experience back.
Old September 1st, 2003, 12:38 AM
Alaska Bound

Just back from Alaska Cruise on Aug 9th. We heard mixed reviews here on this site about the train. I decided to take the bus. Saved some money and got to stop along the way to take pictures. Some folks at our table that night took the train and enjoyed it but also said some people were snoozing on the way back. I enjoy the sotopping to look around rather than a continious trip.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:17 PM
Andee

We loved it, but the combination of history and scenery is right up our alley.