Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2003, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Default spending the day in Cozumel?

Hi, would like some advice about Cozumel. Haven't been impressed with any of the tours offered in Cozumel. Was wondering... Can you spend the entire day on your own in Cozumel? What I'd really like to do is go to Chankanaab (sp?) marine park - I believe you can "hang out" there for hours, do some snorkelling... Would also like to do a bit of shopping, which I hear is good in Cozumel. Can anyone give me any feedback on this. Thanks - I have found these message boards to be EXTREMELY helpful - a few months ago, I knew nothing about cruising, and now I feel like an expert before I even board the ship!
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2003, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: spending the day in Cozumel?

If you just want to relax and "chill a bit then Channunkab National Park is the place to go. Just hire a cab round trip to take you there. Lots to do, swimming, snorkeling, Dolphin Swim, souvenior shop, little restaurant. i wasn't impressed by the shopping in Cozumel all that much, the street hawkers are very, very pushy trying to get you into the stores. Jewlery , watches and loose gemstones are good buys in Cozumel. IF you are looking for something a bit more adventurous then book onto a dive/snorkel tour of the Palencaar Reef - totally amazing and its an easy swim. You can also tour the ruins at Tulum if that interests you. Stop by the Hard Rock Cafe or Carlos & Charlies for a drink before returning to the ship.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:18 PM
HOSKI

We did Chakanaab in Cozumel on our last cruise and loved it. We took a cooler with some drinks and snorkeled, looked at the gardens, replica ruins and just relaxed. I rented snorkel gear for $6. It was inexpensive and fun.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:15 PM
Yeoman

For authenic Mexican food and guacamole "to die for", go to Panchos Backyard. It is on the main street and I'm sure you will get a map and it is in the back of a really neat store called Los Sinco Soles. This is one of the best places to purchase your $4 Mexican blankets, afgan size and all kinds of neat things. Panchos has a little garden with Mexican musicians and a really nice atmosphere. We were going to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe until we saw this place and changed our mind. It was great.

Luanne

Old July 4th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Mark Merritt

Oh man...i have the tour for you...
Just got back from our honeymoon...
we did an ATV WILD TOUR ...you and your partner can share an atv 4 wheeler or drive your own... it is either 90 bucks per person OR 70 per person if you share an ATV. You drive the atv's for about 4 hours. You go to a beach. You then hop into an ocean kayak with a few other people (about 14 people) ..you kayak out to a reef. Then you snorkel in the reef for a bit...then back on the atv's and back to camp. OR if it is stormy seas or not good snorkel weather, then they will let you ride the atv's for another 2 miles or an extra 40 mins or so ...to drive out to a mayan ruin ...and check it out...and then back to camp... it is BUMPY and WILD! ... lots a fun...

email me if you'd like
markmerritt2002@yahoo.com

Old July 12th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Lyd

I spent a week in Cozumel and loved it. We stayed at a resort ( can't remember the name) that had pretty good snorkling right there at their beach. We also went to Chankaannb for the day and did some snorkling. It was very good. A nice white sand beach with restrooms and eateries. My husband did some scuba diving and went out to the southern part of the island. They dropped me off at this beautiful beach in the middle of nowhere. It had a place where you could get something to eat and had great margaritas. Hardly anyone there. Sorry, but I don't know the name of it. Also, went into town several times and did some shopping. Many shops to choose and bargin with. I really enjoyed Cozumel.
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Beginner

I used to live in cancun and can tell you that Chankanaab is wonderful. I think it costs 10.00 per person to get in and 6.00 to rent snorkeling gear, they have clean showers, places to get a drink and a very cool mayian ruins park (small but neat).

Also there is Playa del sol here is a website to look at for that park, http://www.playasol.com.mx/index.htm.

We always neogiate with taxi drivers, some people pay alot more. Cozumel is very safe but watch your stuff while snorkeling, people have had many things stolen.

Carlos and Charlies is a great place to have a cool drink.

Cozumel is the perfect place to do it on your own. Plenty of taxis and the prices are fair. Don't drink the water or ice or eat anything that that has the water on it like salad fruit etc.
Have Fun!
Old July 25th, 2003, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Xel Ha was pretty nice. Its a marine park with a really nice lagoon. I have also been looking into renting a charter boat next time I go. I think you can do it for ~ 500 for a half day. They will take up to 6 people, so thats only about 80/pp for your own boat. Not a bad way to go.
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:16 AM
SteveSchu

Default Re: Re: spending the day in Cozumel?

"Luanne" is right -- The highlight of a shopping spree in downtown Cozumel is a shop called "Los Cinco Soles" and the little restaurant tucked behind it - Pancho's Backyard. Best guacamole on the planet, for sure !!