Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:20 AM
griffin2929

Default Snorkeling in shallow water?

Going on Carnaval Celebration cruise in August. Want to go snorkeling but uncomfortable in deep water. Are there any shore excursions or beach that has shallow water to snorkel in and still see the beautiful fish? Will have 12 people in the group; 6 looking forward to deep water and maybe even snuba; the other 6 are a bit afraid of deep water and was hoping to find shallow water to snorkel. Very interested in Chankanab Park.

Afraid of THE DEEP!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Snorkeling in shallow water?

The water at the park is over your head and ranges anywhere from chest deep where you enter to about 40' at the deepest part. Mostly it is around 10-25'. You can use inflatable lifevests if you choose, (many do) and you will be surprised at just how easy it is to stay on the surface. Lots of folks have a hard time diving down. <VBG>
Jim

Old August 4th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Snorkeling in shallow water?

What are your ports-of-call? please specify so that we can help.
Old August 4th, 2003, 12:54 PM
griffin2929

My ports-of-call are Cozumel and then Calica. With most of our time spent at Cozumel. Also, some in the group want to do the "Swim with the Dolphin". Trying to find a water spot that will satisfy all.

Thanks
Old August 20th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Passenger

When I was in Cozumel, I snorkeled near Chankanab Park, but not in it. I, too, was not thrilled with the idea of snorkeling in deep water, but I was VERY comfortable in this area. I'm told that the snorkeling in Chankanab is the same - shallow! Plus, I know they offer the option of swimming with dolphins at the park, although it's not included in the entrance fee to the park.

By the way, I've changed my mind about disliking deep water for snorkeling after this vacation. I found water that was TOO shallow in Belize and ended up with some nasty "coral burns" that I'm still nursing! (just returned from vacation 3 days ago)

Have a great vacation!!
Old August 21st, 2003, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Snorkeling in shallow water?

there is another great snorkeling spot in Cozumel - Palencaar Reef - this place is amazing, its an easy easy swim, the current gently pushes you along, all you need to do is float and kick just a bit, the water is so clear that you can see everything from the surface. Its not terribly deep, but deep enough, you have an experienced dive master swimming with you at all times, you have on a life vest. If you find you are having difficulty, signal the dive master and he will help you. The marine life here is spectacular.
I also received some nasty coral scrapes & burns from snorkeling in shallow water.

If you want to do the Dolphin Swim and some snorkeling then Channunkaab National Park is your best bet. Need to reserve the dolphin swim in advance, make sure you book the swim and not the "encounter"

>
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:26 PM
Jura

Hi,

I went on Carnival Glory on her first trip in July. Took a cab to Chankanab on our own and rented snorkels and fins. The fish are beautiful and right against the shore. I never took the top of my snorkel beneath the water and had a wonderful time. Go early so you can get a beach 'chair' to rest between trips in the water. Warning though---a cockroach tried to hitch a ride out in my beach bag and an iguana almost fell out of a tree onto my husband!!
Have a good vacation!!!