Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Maya mayan Ruins

Has anyone done an excursion to the mayan Ruins in Costa Maya? Any recommendations on which ones are the best? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Costa Maya mayan Ruins

We saw the Kohunlich ruins in Feb. and really enjoyed them. The bus trip was long due to road construction. But the ruins were fascinating. The excursion was off the Horizon and our guide was excellent. Don't forget to bring water with you - we weren't prepared since the refreshments were only given to us after the tour.
Old September 21st, 2003, 09:36 PM
Passenger

What ruins do you want to see? I have been to Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza . . .
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Costa Maya mayan Ruins

Not sure which ones to see. I just want to see Mayan Ruins and decided to do it in Costa Maya since there are other things I want to do at the other islands I will be visiting. That is why I wanted opinions, to know which are the most fascinating. I will see if Princess goes to Koholinch. Thanks!!
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Well, depends on much time you have on shore but I believe Tulum and Coba are within close driving from Costa Maya. Tulum is an open environment where you can see the whole ruin site from the entrance. It is still big enough to see and not boring. It is also right along the ocean too. Coba is about 30 - 40 minutes inland from Tulum and surrounded by forest. You travel along paths to each ruin. Both are very safe especially Tulum. Coba is more deserted but has huge pyramids; one of them you can climb but be very careful. You can pay someone to pedal two of you if you don't want to walk Coba also. Chichen Itza is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from Cancun but worth the drive if you can go. A very impressive ruins site where you can spend all day if you love ruins. Easy to get to; just make sure you have a good car since you can drive on a brand new highway for an hour without seeing a car. When I went last year, there were few cars on the way there but many buses on the way back. Make sure you get gas when you see it and have money to pay the tolls. I'm going in 2 weeks to Cozumel where we will take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then take a rental car to Cancun and Chichen Itza. Have fun!!!