Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:56 AM
iris

Default baltic cruise

we are going on the grand princess baltic cruise 5-19-04. Since we have never been to these countries we were thinking of taking tours through Princess. What are your thoughts? Which tours do you think we should take in each place since Princess has so many. Any tips on exchanging money and shopping. THanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Captain

Default Re: baltic cruise

Hi Iris,

We just did the Scandinavia cruise in May of this year, and we had a great time venturing out on our own (except for St. Petes). Since English is widely spoken in these countries and the public transportation systems are great, I hope you go for it. On the tours, you spend so much time waiting for the bus to load, waiting for everyone to go potty, etc. that you miss so much. And the experience is so much richer when you have more interaction with the locals. We have traveled a lot (considering our age), and venturing out on our own in Stockholm was one of our best travel days ever. You might look at www.frommers.com or check out the Frommers Scandinavia book (Frommers is my favorite) because they have local walking tours at each port. If you want a blow-by-blow on how we got around in each port and what we did, leave me a message, and I'll give details. We were able to combine some of the shore excursion itineraries to make our own itinerary, and we got to see more than anyone else that we came into contact with. In fact, after a few days, other passengers were cancelling shore excursions to come with us!

Happy traveling,
Donna
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Andee

Default Re: baltic cruise

I agree about going on your own. In several cities there are hop-on hop-off sightseeing buses for about $20 that provide narration. I like the walking tours in Rick Steves' book.

In St. Petersburg, I'd recommend Red October for a personalized, guided tour. For four of us, it was cheaper than taking all day shore excursions.