Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ariving day before cruise departs

we probably will be cruising in the summer out of pa. is it necessary to arrive at cruise port the day before and stay over near departure. everyone tells me that they have been doing this. however they also are going in bad weather months such winter or early spring. where we live flights can be delayed or canceled in those months. summer would not have that problem. is there any other reason arriving day early would be good idea.? there would be 10 of us, kids and grandkids traveling together. is luggage not arriving on time ever been a problem with anyone? patty ps. also wonder ing about transport to the cruise terminal. with some plans transport is included with price of cruise and air trans. how expensive is the transport from airport to cruise terminal if paying for it on your on.? patty
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:24 AM
sls

Default Re: ariving day before cruise departs

Patty,

a lot depends on what port you are cruising from. I've been delayed several hours when I've had to change planes in Atlanta due to thunderstorms in the summer so the season is not a guarantee of smooth travel. You might want to take these questions up to the "Ask Cruisemates" category as you'll probably more responses. I know you're probably trying to come up with an estimate of how much it's going to cost for the entire family but first you need to find your destination. All the cruise lines pretty much have the same shore tours.

sls
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Imagine you booking a flight to arrive the day of the cruise departure and the airplane has a mechanical problem. You miss your entire vacation or you must make arrangements to get to the next port to catch up with the ship. Or your luggage didn't arrive on your plane and you board the ship with no luggage. It may show up at the next port but it may not.

It's really risking it to try to arrive the day of embarkation. Lower the stress level and get in the day before. For flying home though you can book a flight in the afternoon and not have a problem.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Admiral

I totally agree with the others. Flying in the day before is so much easier, less stress. One more day of vacation, unwind after your flight, relax.The only way to guarantee getting to the ship if you fly in the day of departure is to book the cruise lines air, that way if there is a problem, the ship will wait for your flight, and ship's air is usually more expensive than booking it on your own, and you are limited to which flights you can take. The cruise ships do have shuttle buses, but they can be expensive and you have to wait until the bus is full. Its usually easier & cheaper to grab a cab to the cruise port terminal.
Old October 6th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Patty,
Its always nice to travel in the day before the cruise to get there, relax and be ready to cruise. We can't always do it, but if its possible I love starting out a cruise that way. We also live in the Midwest and are cruising in Feb, so we're going in a day early, also less stress if wheather is a problem and there are delays, so go for it if you can.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Bomby

Now after reading these boards I am so stressed about our plane getting in on time! We are set to fly in to Tampa at 11:20 and our cruise leaves at 4! Last time I flew Spirit Airlines, our flight coming back was delayed 4 hours! I probably should not have flown Spirit again but they gave us a 50% off voucher due to that delay so I got a very cheap flight to Tampa this time. At least we don't have any layovers, which always make me nervous as far as time goes. I guess if when we get to the airport and it looks like our flight will be delayed, maybe we can get tickets for another flight to Tampa (we are flying out of Detroit) but hopefully this isn't wishful thinking!
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Captain

I agree that it's much more relaxing to go the day before, especially if you are traveling with a group. I think you should also consider how many days at sea you have after the ship sails. For example, if the ship sails from New York and call on Boston first (like a New England fall foliage tour), you might miss the first day of the cruise if the airline failed to get you into New York on time. And we're assuming that the airline will agree with fly you on to Boston, which they may or may not do. But if you're sailing out of Miami and are going to be at sea for 2 days, you're going to miss over 1/3 of your cruise before you can catch up with the ship on whatever island the ship is calling at first, and you'll have the expense of lodging for 2 extra nights. The airlines and weather are always unpredictable, so we always go the day before if we haven't booked our air through the cruise line. Most of the cruises leave from wonderful cities anyway, so it's an opportunity for some extra sight-seeing. I hope you all have a great time.
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Andee

We always go in the same day, choosing as early a flight as we can get. Often we drive 90 minutes to get to a bigger city so we can get a non-stop flight.

Taking an extra day of vacation time, and having to go to a hotel, check in, figure out how to spend the day, re-pack the next morning and get to the ship---that's not relaxing to us.

I lnow that we're in the minority, but we don't mind being different. We're odd in lots of ways.
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM
First Mate

Bomby, we just flew Spirit from Detroit to Fort Myers (meeting up with friends the day before). There were no problems - Spirit was totally on time. For me, arriving in Tampa at 11:20 is far too close for comfort. Keep in mind that although the ship doesn't actually leave until 4, passengers start embarking by about noon. In fact, we were on, checked in to our cabins, and having lunch on the Lido deck by 12:30. If you board early, it's almost like getting an extra day. Is there any way you can take an earlier flight that day? If not, you'll probably be ok, but you won't be among the early arriving passengers. If you can't change, then don't panic - just do all you can to ensure everything that you can control is taken care of, then hope for the best. Be prepared to deal with problems when they happen - don't stress about them too much beforehand.
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since we live on the west coast and caribbean cruises generally depart from the east coast, we fly the day before to make up for the 4 hours we lose flying from west to east. Also, since the flights are usually in excess of 8 hours, to get to the east coast the day of the cruise would mean a red-eye flight. Yuck.

If at all possible, arrive the day before. You will start your cruise rested and not stressed about making it to the dock on time.