Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default cayman islands

what are some of the choices of things to do when stopping in the caymans.? i keep hearing about sting ray city but also even though it is beautiful, i hear some people freek upon entering the water with all those sting rays. how deep actually is the water? we are taking our kids and grandkids ages 12,11,8, and 5. i think the older ones will have heads above water but 8 and five may be a problem. is it worth what it costs to have them remain on the boat and just watch. are they allowed to wear floaters and be supervised by parent? i also haave heard that it is better to take a small boat out to this site than getting a catamaran which holds many many people. patty
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: cayman islands

Patty, a trip to Sting Ray City Sandbar is a must do. Your grandkids and you will have a blast. The water is only about waist deep on me and i am 5'5" tall. You don't get "swarmed" with stingrays, a few will come around, swim by you, you can even feed them if you like. I had one swim right through my legs it was a really great experience, felt like a tickle. You can stay on the boat if you wish, but you would be missing a lot, just listen to the dive master's instructions and you will have no problems.
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM
First Mate

I agree totally - just came back a few weeks ago and it was probably one of the most memorable experiences of my life. My travelling partner was not keen on going because he can't swim, but afterward, he was so glad! The water is shallow (chest deep on me - I'm 5'3). You can wear life jackets if you want. It is well worth it to go - even if, worst case scenario, you stay on the boat, you'll still see all the happenings. I saw people of all ages absolutely loving stingray city. Please think seriously before you pass on that one.
Old October 6th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Captain

Yes, Stingray City is awesome. There are a lot of stingrays, but you won't have a problem unless you step on one, and they tell you about that on the boat. While you're there, the stingrays are accustomed to being fed by the tour boats, so I think it would be very rare for one to be burrowed in the sand during that time anyway. I'm 5'7", and the water was at waist-level for me. There were children in our group, and the little ones wore their arm floaties and were fine. It's a great experience, so I hope you will get to go.