Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2003, 05:02 PM
lindalarsen

Default The Baths Virgin Gorda

Has anyone taken the ferry to Virgin Gorda on their own and was it reliable. We are booked for the Princess Virgin Gorda tour, but would rather have more time there on our own if we could take the ferry ourselves. Any comments would be appreciated.
Linda
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:17 AM
Captain

Default Re: The Baths Virgin Gorda

We took the shore excursion because we were worried about that too, so I hope someone can help. This is a FABULOUS area to snorkel!!!
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: The Baths Virgin Gorda

Ferries in the BVI's run on "island time" . You have very nice folks like the Smith's of Smith's Ferry, but things are done on island time and at island pace. I have on one occassion gotten on a ferry at 1:15 in the afternoon that should have sailed 35 minutes earlier. They will wait for locals who are late, guests from a plane making a connection
or for a package that needs to go interisland. If you were staying in the BVI's I would not hesitate to tell you to go on your own, but , given the ship is not going to wait for you, I would recommend in this instance you stay with their tour.
At the top of the Baths (in the parking lot) there is a great beach bar called Mad Dogs.
Their grilled sandwiches are to die for and they make the best Pina Colada on the face of the earth.
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:06 PM
lilli

Default Re: The Baths Virgin Gorda

i was wondering....if you could get to the baths if you are in st. thomas...and how far it would be .....i'm goin on a cruise that is only goin to st. thomas ....st. maartin....bahmas....labadee....can u get there form any of the islands in short time!! thanks
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:10 AM
linda larsen

Default Re: Re: The Baths Virgin Gorda

Try contacting Ikewittcharters.com, sailjester.com, or sailwinifred.com. They have day sails from St. Thomas. Just make sure you'll get back to the ship in time if on a cruise.
St. John is beautiful! We're going there again next week while in St. Thomas.
Good luck.
Linda