Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:32 AM
Annalisa

Default Costa Rica shore excursion recommendations

Was wondering if anyone out there has been to Limon Costa Rica, and could recommend a shore excursion.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Costa Rica shore excursion recommendations

Is Limon Atlantic side or Pacific side? Remind me and I'll recommend an excursion.
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:07 PM
Annalisa

Default Re: Re: Costa Rica shore excursion recommendations

Limon is Atlantic side. Thanks for your help.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Costa Rica shore excursion recommendations

It's tough to be old, you forget things, but not a good excursion.
Limon itself (the town)is a "must skip" place. Two dirty streets full of cheesy souvenir places in an industrial port . There is a local crafts bizarre at the port entrance that offers all the stuff you would ever want to buy.
The Torteguero Canal tour , if offered, Is something I would recommend.
You begin with a bus ride out of town. The tour is one way so you may ride about 40 minutes there or 10 minutes depending on which end they start. Your trip back will be the reverse. On the bus you will hear interesting information about Costa Rica, Limon and the Canals. You will pass through the Banana plantations and they will tell you about that as well.
When you get to the canals you will be greeted by a local band, served some fresh fruit
(safe to eat) and gathered together to board tour boats. They are covered boats (this is partly a rain forest) powered by modern outboard motors. Your guide will show you flowers, trees, birds, animals etc on a several hour tour. You will see, monkeys, sloths,
cranes, herons, , vultures, birds of prey, flamingos, and you will see crocadiles.
Bring a camera. The guides really work hard to find you great stuff to look at.
This was a worthwhile tour.
Old January 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Yeoman

My husband and I were in Limon in November and we went on the Arial Tramway tour. A bit pricy but worth it. A very long ride however in a bus. We happened to get stuck in the back of the bus next to the restroom. Rained the entire time. Take the advice my neighbor gave me and purchase a pancho before you leave. Alot cheaper and you have it with you already. We were in the rainforest during the rainy season. Tour guide was very good. He lived in San Jose and did these tours daily. We booked through Celebrity and were glad we did. Between the rain and traffic accidents we made it back to the ship at 5:55 for departure at 6:00. Dinner was also at 6:00. We were really hurrying. But we knew the ship would not leave us. That's why we always book through them. Maybe a little higher in price but worth it to us. One note about the tramway tour we did the one where you actually sit in gondolas not the one where you are suspended in air. I'm very afraid of heights but it did not bother me too much. Anyway have a great time.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Personally, we did the whitewater rafting back in 1990 and the outfit, Rio Tropicales, is still in business. It was a wonderful excursion. We had a great guide and learned local stuff on the (yes long) bus rides and they drive on the wrong side. My kids, then 15/11, now 28-25, still talk about it.