Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Haidy

Default help w/ Belize, Grand Caymen, Cozumel & Costa Maya

We will be taking RCCL West Carib. cruise in Feruary and we are having a difficult time deciding which shore excursions to book.............if anyone has any suggestions, they would greatly be appreciated. We definitely want to tour the ruins, snorkel, & swim w/ the rays. We ar just trying to figure out what to do where.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Amie

Default Re: help w/ Belize, Grand Caymen, Cozumel & Costa Maya

Hi Haidy,
We went on a honeymoon cruise last year to the Western Caribbean and there were two places I wanted to tell you about...

In Costa Maya, we went on a snorkel tour that was great - but the best part was afterwards. If you go on this particular one (where everyone was going) it takes you on a 15 minute bus ride down the beach to the dock where the snorkel boat takes off. Once we were finished, we had the option of getting out and walking (20 minute walk) or riding back. We were the only ones who took the 'walk' option (although we really don't like to walk all that much!)...it was one of the most memorable parts of our trip. There we were, walking along the beach, all alone for about 20-25 minutes. It was beautiful and we were able to stand there, holding hands and look at the beautiful water and sand...so romantic! If you are going with a significant other, i highly recommend this!

Also, we did the Snuba dive in Cozumel. It was so awesome!!! It was like getting to scuba without all the equipment. We really felt like we were fish! When we got finished, my husband and I came out of the water with these huge grins on our faces and said we couldn't wait to do it again - we are scheduled to go again in May.

Have a great time!
Amie
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:53 AM
First Mate

In Belize, if you're adventurous, try the cave tubing (too adventurous for me, but I've heard it's great). We did a city tour and tour of ruins at Altun Ha. It was interesting, but next time, I think I'd find some tour of the rainforest or take a trip to one of the islands to find a good beach. Belize city in itself is not what I was expecting. I guess you have to go outside the city to find the lush tropical rainforest and beaches I thought I would find. In Grand Cayman, definitely do the stingrays - they were awesome. Nativeways is a good private tour company that I would recommend. Cost $25 and they pick you right up at the pier. Wish I was going again. Have a great time!
Old January 30th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

For Grand Cayman I highly recommend Snorkler's Dream. It's a 47 ft catamaran that takes you to 3 sites. Only costs 34.00. There were very few people on board. See my photos in the gallery under Costa Mediterranea. They take you to Stingray City sand bar,out to the barrier reef,and to coral gardens. The guide Bert is great,coaxes a moray eel out for everyone to see.
On the sail back in Captain Crosby will get out his guitar and seranade everyone. It was the best time. All the ctuise ship tours were really crowded.
Old January 31st, 2004, 11:58 AM
marcypan

Stingray City in Cayman is excellent. We are looking at the new Buccaneer Catamaran for our cruise this time as you get the 3 stops and there is a CASH BAR onboard. I think its the only one that can sell alcohol and I like the idea of a drink before I get in the water with the stingrays...it will give me a little more courage:-)

In Belize we booked XStream cave tubing, they offer more for less money, only $60!

Still trying to decide on Cozumel, maybe go to Tulum but Chabanaak sounds great too
Old January 31st, 2004, 02:12 PM
Chris Braun

Default Re: Re: help w/ Belize, Grand Caymen, Cozumel & Costa Ma

What company sails on the new Buccaneer Catemaran. Love the idea of the cash bar.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM
rileydogg

We have been snorkeling twice in Cozumel and neither time were we impressed. This may be a good time to see the ruins for you. I've heard that some of the ruin tours can be a little long (the busrides) so choose wisely. I've also heard that you should take a large bottle of water because you're walking a lot and they will rake you for a small bottle there.

In Belize, you must do the cave tubing. It is about an hour ride to get there. You walk about 30 minutes through the forest (not strenuous) carrying your tube which is not heavy. You will glide slowly through huge caves. Sometimes the ceiling is so low you can touch it, but the caves are really wide so it never feels claustrophobic. You will tube for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. We booked ours on the ship (Celebrity - Galaxy) and it included a meal. The cost was $89.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:55 PM
MarcyPan

Default Buccaneer info

The Buccaneer is on Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions ,

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.c..._Catamaran.htm

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.c..._Catamaran.htm ( I never can get these things to work so I'm sure it won't show up)