Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:56 PM
First Mate

Default Excursion schedule

Do excursions have more than one time of departure? Example one group leaves at 9am, another at 10am etc. or is it one group/one time only per excursion? And at what time do they usually depart? We are docking at 7am in every port. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Excursion schedule

Hi Moai,
Depending on the excursion, some do have more than one time, usually an AM and then one in the afternoon. It also depends on the time the excursion takes, some take all day and would leave in the morning to return in time to get back onboard.

YOu can check out all the excursions on the Royal Caribbean web-site and pre-book them before your cruise, you usually have to be 60 days prior to cruising, but you can still look at them and make some decisions.

You will need your cruise reservation number, here is a link to the excursions:

https://shorex.rccl.com/

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
First Mate

Thank you Donna. I read in another post that in certain islands you would recommend using the ship excursions. Are St Thomas, St Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia or Barbados islands that you would suggest not going on your own?

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Excursion schedule

Hi Moai,
I think you'll be fine in St. Thomas and St. Maarten just going off on your own. WE also did in Barbados, just got a cab right by the pier and had him drive us to Harrisons caves and then after that, the boatyard beach. We ended up walking back, started to rain, found an internet cafe and waited the rain out and then continued on our way to the ship. We also took a cab in St. Lucia to one of the Sandals for the day, that was not a problem.

Do you have any ideas as to what you want to do on these islands?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
First Mate

My 15 & 11 years old children received snorkeling gear for Christmas and they canít wait to use it. I was wondering which Island would be the best to do a professionally run, by the ship or outside operator, excursion so they can get the most out of it. In the others we might just explore the island on our own and maybe a little snorkeling at the closest beach. I think to do an excursion in every port would be too much. I donít want to need a vacation at the end of this vacation.
Thank you again for all the wonderful information.

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Beginner

In St. Thomas, we have done a couple of different ship excursions for snorkeling that we would highly recommend. Don't know what they are currently called.

One was the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel. You go on a private sailing yacht that carries six people and a crew of two. One of the crew get in the water with you and explain what you are seeing, etc. My husband and I did this one, and were paired with a family of four.

When we took our girls, who were 11 & 7, we went on the Doubloon pirate ship. We again snorkeled in the Buck Island area. Again, someone was in the water with you, but a bigger group (I think we had about 24, but the ship holds more). The kids got a turn to help "steer" the ship.

Had a fantastic experience both times. It is deeper water, no standing on the bottom. Saw lots of sea turtles, rays, and colorful fish.

Have a great trip!
Sandy
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:50 PM
First Mate

In any of these excursions, would they let you stay in the boat if you don't want to snorkle?
I'm asking because I do not swim. I would be going for the ride and to take pictures.

Old February 9th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Hi Moai,
Thats no problem if you don't want to get off the boat, they won't force you. You should also have a nice time staying on the boat and taking pics, not a problem.

Message Boards Moderator