Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Dale & Jody

Default The Baths at Virgin Gorda

Booked a cruise that will be going to Roadtown, Tortola and interested in going to The Baths for a second time. I need help. First time was with wife via chartered sail boat so we entered The Baths on a dinghy. This time we'll be traveling with daughter, son-in-law and their four month infant. We plan to do it on our own and was curious about the entrance to the baths from land. Is it a steep path or can it be negociated by a mother with infant without much problem? Pease help making plans now for a 2/29/04 arrival.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2004, 03:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: The Baths at Virgin Gorda

Yes you can do it. The path is really not that steep - just one or two spots where the step down is steep and you will want to assist the mother and infant. The path takes about 10 minutes. Wear decent shoes though - running shoes or good sport sandals with decent soles (NOT the slippy kind). I have some arthritis myself but only required a hand to help me down at one point.
Getting there from Tortola is quite easy. Smith's ferry has several guys (in blue shirts) waiting in the vicinity of the cruise ship dock - which is about a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock (you can actually see the ferries). The Smith guys will sell you return ferry tickets that INCLUDE the return taxi fare from the Virgin Gorda docks to the Baths (about a 5 minute drive) for $20 pp. The ferry ride takes about 40-45 minutes.
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Dale & Jody

Default Re: Re: The Baths at Virgin Gorda

Thanks for the quick reponse. Based on your input I think we'll do our own thing and head for the Baths. I think this will be much more enjoyable than Spring Bay and I wanted my daughter and family to experience what we did back in 95. Planning to have a late lunch at "The Top of the Baths Restaurant" have you been there ? Any pointers?

Thanks again
Dale & Jody
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: The Baths at Virgin Gorda

Top of the Baths is a great place to have lunch - that is exactly what we did after the Baths. You can swim in their pool while waiting for your lunch and the view can't be beat. Just give yourself a lot of time to do the Baths - get back and have lunch. We took Smith's 8:50 ferry to VG. Climbed through the Baths, snorkled etc and then started back to the parking lot at about 12:30. 2 choices for return to the parking lot - through the Baths again OR there is a path that bypasses the Baths and leads up to the parking lot. We did that - it takes a little longer than going back through the Baths (it circles around and comes out ABOVE Top of the Baths - just remember to avoid any side paths and stay on the main one. ) This path also only had one or two spots where a little help might be needed. It took us about 20 minutes to go this route. We had lunch at Top of the Baths and then caught the taxi back to the docks for the 2:15 ferry.