CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shore Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/)
-   -   Antigua and St. Maarten (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/299102-antigua-st-maarten.html)

chipburger April 12th, 2004 12:16 AM

Antigua and St. Maarten

Hey there cruisers. I could use some good opinions on what the best excursions are for RCI in both Antigua and St. Maarten. Going in December and want to start checking up on stuff. You can never start planning too early for a cruise.

Thanks,

Chipburger

LisaK April 12th, 2004 10:01 AM

Re: Antigua and St. Maarten

Haven't been to Antigua yet, but was in St. Maarten in February. St. Maarten has some beautiful beaches - some are topless, Orient Beach is clothing-optional. Dawn beach is a favorite. We did the Golden Eagle Catamaran sail - loved it. Sailed up the coast- beautiful --over to a small island where we did some snorkeling, swiming,and just relaxed on the beach. Another really fun thing to do is the America's Cup Regatta. Part of our group went SCUBA diving - lots of shipwrecks to see. Great duty free shopping in St. Maarten - jewlery, cosmetics, perfumes, fine linens & t-shirts are the best deals.

zeno April 12th, 2004 12:41 PM

In Antigua, I highly recommend taking a tour with Lawrence of Antigua. (website www.lawrenceofantigua.com) He has a spotless air conditioned van, is very professional and will recommend a couple of touring options to you. He is very responsive to gearing the tour to your wants and interests. I recommend a tour that includes Nelson's Dockyard and the National historic Park (the dockyard and the various hill fortifications around it). The National Park is very well setup (one admission - $5 includes all the sites). There are guided tours at Nelson's Dockyard and at the Dow's Hill Interpretation Centre (also a multi-media presentation at Dow's Hill). The views from the various hilltop sites are spectacular.
In St Maarten, I recommend Orient Beach. Great beach, lots to do, good restaurants, great people watching.

Donna April 12th, 2004 03:09 PM

We did an excursion in St. Maarten through Royal Caribbean, Rhino boats and it was a lot of fun. We went through areas you would normally not see, something to think about. Two people go on each one and you can switch drivers.

shalli April 12th, 2004 10:57 PM

we went on the america's cup "race" and it was exciting and fun! all ages were there and we all got to help if we wanted to...one man was 80 and was the timekeeper...we will always remember that..of course we love to sail...but it is an experience you'll never forget! shalli

Donna April 13th, 2004 04:08 PM

I almost forgot, in St. Maarten, the AMerica's Cup Regatta is a great excursion, we really enjoyed that one a few years ago.

punkass April 20th, 2004 04:27 PM

Re: Re: Antigua and St. Maarten

in Antigua we did an excursion through RCCL and it was great. i forget exactly what it was called but it involved kayaking and snorkeling. we got taken to the most BEAUTIFUL area. just mangroves and small lil islands. we kayaked around (harder than i thought) and our tour guide just plucked this gigantic starfish out of the water like he had planted it there. after we hiked up a small hill for an extraordinary panoramic view of where we were and then we snorkeled for 45 minutes or so. our tour guides were great. incredibly knowledgable and really really friendly.