Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Pride Puerta Vallerta Help

I saw a new excursion posted on the Carnival website for riding ATV's. Has anyone sailed the Pride recently and do you have or remember the cost and time of that particular excursion?

Kathy Hind
Sailing 5/23 Carnival Pride
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival Pride Puerta Vallerta Help

Yes! I just returned from the 5/2 sail from the Pride! The ATV adventure looked really fun. We had another excursion planned, but would consider the ATV next time. Excursion should be about 4 hrs, costs $95 pp and from my excursion list, the ATV had 3 departure times, 7:45 am, 11:30, and 3:00. You do need a valid Driver's License. Any other ques. I'd be happy to help. You going to have a great time!
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival Pride Puerta Vallerta Help

Thank you so much. I was able to find out the cost was $95.00 but so far could not find out the times. We are planning on the Sunset Pirate cruise later that day so wanted to be sure we could do both.

According to the times you gave me we can do the 7:45 AM ATV excursion and be back in plenty of time for the Sunset Pirate cruise.

Do you have the time for that one (Sunset Pirate Cruise)? I have seen 3:15 and 4:15 so not certain?

Did you enjoy the Carnival Pride? We have never sailed with Carnival before but decided on it because we are taking our sons and their wives - ages 29 to 35 - so felt Carnival would cater more to them with all the fun and partying that I hear goes on.

Is there a time change in Mexico?

Thanks again - so much. We are so excited it is difficult to wait.

Kathy
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Hello again Kathy! I'm glad I was able to help you.

From the excursion paper I have from the Pride, the Pirate boat adventure is $89pp and leaves at 3:15. There is a time change for the boat: forward 1 hour on the night you leave and back 1 hour the night you leave Cabo. When in Puerta, local time will be 1 hour ahead of the ship time. Make sure to stay on ship time for departures as well as excursions. People involved with the excursions know of the difference and will tell you accordingly.

I have heard that the Pirate Ship is a wonderful excursion. It seemed to me that the excursions in Puerto appealed to me the most-but not enough time to do all that we wanted. So, next time I say

This was our first cruise-celebrating our 10th anniversary! We both are 30 and the Pride fit in well with our age, but there was a whole range of adults, families, as well as children. I can't gauge if Carnival is a party ship with no comparision. I think that on the Pride you can be wild and involved or more laid back and relaxed. Many different activities, games, entertainment, great service. I'm just 3 days out and still riding the cruise high. We enjoyed ourselves very much!

If there is anything else I can help with, I'd be happy to. I still have most papers from the cruise to show children and family.

What kind of room do you have? We had a private balcony on Empress deck 6 wonderful!!! Nice to have our little piece of the ocean.

Victoria
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Passenger

Thank you Victoria. Sounds like a perfect 10th Anniversary. What better way than a cruise? They treat you like royalty, the food is always excellent, the entertainment, everything about a cruise is perfect.

What you are saying is we do have a time change but as far as the ship and the times listed for excursions - we don't change. If a tour starts at 7:45 AM our time [ship time] it is actually 8:45 AM Puerta Vallarta time but we don't go by that? Think I got it.

Here are a few questions if you don't mind and have time to answer???

Do you have any of the papers on the SPA? Prices for Massage and facial?

On the night we sail is dining at the time you have scheduled? We are the late seating so I think it is 8:30 or 8:15? Or is the first night out open seating?

Did you find Embarkation was a long slow process? I have read that it is best to do early boarding at The Queen Mary around 10:30 am and then get in a line for people who have preregistered and it goes much faster? Some said they were in their cabins by 12:30?

They do serve lunch once you board right? Either at the buffet or in the dining room? And is there lots of seating - tables on the AFT deck where you can take your lunch and watch the ship sail?

Were there refrigerators in the cabins? Were they prestocked?

Do you by any chance recal in Cabo San Lucas if you saw mopeds for rent? Were people getting around on mopeds that you remember? We thought it would be a fun way to see Cabo - hope we can find out if you can rent them there. Want to see Cabo Wabo and Giggling Marlin and as much as we can take in that day.

We have an extended balcony in the AFT of the ship. #5297 I think it is. The kids [not really kids except to us] have cabins on deck 4 by the Atrium elevators - with balconies. Bet you enjoyed the balcony. We have never had one but are looking forward to that.

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciate it.

When are you planning the next cruise? :-) Once a cruiser - always a cruiser!

Kathy
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Kathy-

You are right about the ship time in relation to excursions. Just stay on ship time and you'll be fine!

Sorry, but i did not keep any of the spa papers. We did a tour of the spa on embarkation, heavy salesmanship but not a lot of pressure. I'll tell you what I remember as that should help.

There are lots of different spa and salon treatments. For dry styling for med. hair(think formal night) is $35. As far as spa treatments go there are facials using some type of little machine "rollers" on the face(can't remember the name) that is supposed to be "better" than traditional Euorpean Facial. I think about $110-120 lasts I think 60 maybe 90 minutes. Different massages warm stone massage-this looked really nice would consider doing this one myself- I think in the $120 range for hour. There are couples massage, seaweed wrap, scalp treatments, typical manicure, pedicure. I remember if you take the embarkation tour and book before departing there were specials about 25% off. There are always specials every day and specials while in port, nothing of any great savings usually 25-30% off, but better than full price.

Dining on first night and all nights is at your time you selected and at your table-no open seating in dining room. We had late as well, 8:15. Be sure to check your sign and sail card to confirm seating time. Ours was incorrect, just had to go to dining room after we borded and switched to late and were able to get table for just us 2, which we really enjoyed. Late sitting worked really well for us and didn't miss shows, ports, or felt rushed in any way.

Embarkation was kind of crazy. We had not heard of the early bording from our TA, which I was disappointed. Got there about noon. Lots and Lots of people! Bags got to porter quickly and went from there. Saw 2 lines and tried to find out what each was for. That's when I found out about the QM early bording! ! That line was much shorter. It seemed to me that there was a bit of confusion with cruisers and staff, as the lines were not marked. Got a few different answers from different workers. So, hubby and I went in differnt lines to see which was moving faster-at that time there were 3 lines! A little crazy, but just had to keep calm and patient. My line was moving pretty good and than my hubby came from his line and said his was very close to door, let's go. Turned out part of his line got moved to the QM line by another CCL Member ! Sounds crazy, I know This was all in a 10-15 mintue time. So we got in, when through security, bording pass line, then to another line to get Sail and Sign card, then on to the SHIP!!! This whole process wasn't very bad, we were on the boat I think by a little before 1! We kept saying how did we just get throught that so fast!?!

Did a little browsing on the ship, and by the time we made it to our room, 6198 Empress deck near midship,our bags were waiting for us!! It seemed too good to be true! We were thrilled embarkation went smooth.

For lunch, it's served on the Lido deck,9.Buffets, pizza, deli sand. (turkey was great), desserts, lemonade, punch, water, tea etc. This is where you sit where you want. If you get on early you'll have time to eat where ever prior to leaving at 4. Remember as you leave you do the emergency drill so you can't stay where you want until that's over.It's all announced, long and hot and boring but necessary.

I believe that we had a mini bar in our room that was locked up. We have no need for that, so didn't bother. May be a mini-fridge in that area- about the right size. Had ice bucket that was always filled.

For Cabo, I don't recall seeing mopeds there. I had a BAD accident on our honeymoon in Hawaii on a moped. On day 2, had to get stiches, very, very bad road rash on top of feet, ankles, legs and arms. Pretty much took a bad slide on the road. So I now stay away from mopeds!! still didn't notice many. We were able to walk from the pier to downtown: shops, Cabo Wabo as well as other dining in about 10-15 minutes. It gets hot so have water and cool clothing, good walking shoes.

We loved our cabin! I'm not sure if we had regular or extended balcony. We had 2 chairs and little table on ours. Seemed pretty good size to me. We liked proping the door open and listen to the ocean at night. Played cards out there. Very relaxing and romantic.

For our next crusie we are trying to think what we might do with our 3 girls. Ages now 11, 6, and 4. All 3 keep asking when can we go? Disney cruise is obvious choice, but still considering.

Hope this helps. Keep asking if you need to know more! My family doesn't want to hear as much as we do on this board!

Victoria
from Fresno,Ca
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Again thank you for all the information. You have been so helpful. Only someone who has been on the same ship and the same destination can answer the questions. I did find out about the mopeds - they can be rented in Cabo at the Marina. However, your concern is the same as my son's for me - they say since I can't even turn a corner on a bicycle how would I manage a moped without injury! :-) Perhaps walking is a better idea.

The SPA sounds very expensive so doubt I will do that. Never experienced one but those prices seem outrageous to me.

You mentioned a mini-bar? Is that the same as a refrigerator? Or are they two different things?

So they do the life boat drill right at the time they sail? Yuck. I know it is necessary but that means going to your cabin right at sailing time to get your life jacket and then going through the drill? That's kind of a bummer. Many ships wait until way after sailing or even the next morning before they do it. Is it right at 4:00??? So you miss the actual sailing?

We are really looking forward to our first time with a balcony. We got the balcony for the kids too and I know they will enjoy it. How was the wind when you were out on your balcony? We are in the aft so shouldn't be windy but I wondered about the mid-ship balconies?

We would not have known about the early boarding via the QM if it weren't for the message boards here on cruisemates.com - our TA didn't tell us and Carnival doesn't either. Fortunately we read the messages and know to be there by 10:15-10:30 am. We are staying over night in Long Beach [San Pedro] Saturday evening as we are driving from AZ - so they shuttle us to the ship and that leaves the hotel at 10:00 am. Should be in plenty of time as I hear that the QM closes it's early boarding at noon.

Everyone says the lines are confusing and the Carnival staff doesn't seem to know which line is which either. As you said - must just remain patient. If on board by 12:30 or 1:00 that is good so what's the difference. Time to relax over lunch and have a few cocktails to celebrate before sailing and donning our life jackets! :0)

Disney cruise with the kids sounds wonderful. Very expensive I think but if you save for it - a real memory for everyone. Nice you had your first cruise just the two of you to experience it without children - more romantic. The next one can be for family. Lots to do for children whatever cruise line you take so you will still have "alone time".

Thanks again for such informative responses.

You are welcome to email me at my personal email if you like which is thehinds3@msn.com

Kathy
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Sheree Daley

Kathy,

There is a place in Puerto called the Krystal Hotel. Millineum Massage works out of there and my mom and I are getting 75 minute massages for only $32.50 each. They came recommended by other cruisers and I also know someone who got married there and they said it is a beautiful hotel. Their phone number to schedule an appointment is (322) 224-0202.

Sheree
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Sheree Daley

Victoria,
My husband and I are also celebrating our 10th anniversary. This time we are sailing with my parents and 2 1/2 year old. We are so excited and are leaving May 16th. We are on the Upper Aft #7260 with extended balcony, we can't wait. Sounds like you had a great time, also sounds like a great ship.

Thanks for the info,
Sheree
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Thanks Sheree. Unfortunately in PV we are planning the ATV excursion in the morning and then the Sunset Pirate cruise that afternoon/evening - so no time in PV for a wonderful massage. Wish it were in Mazatlan! More time there.

Anyone have any references for a massage in Mazatlan???

Kathy
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Tammye

anyone going on the 8/29/04 sailing?? Our family of 4 is going. This will be our 3rd cruise but first time on the Pride,
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Passenger

KatHind , you mentioned Cabo Wabo and Giggling Marlin in Cabo San Lucas. My wife and I just got back two weeks ago (1st week in June), off the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera. We walked the streets of Cabo, getting to the majority of areas no problem (and no, I didn't notice any moped rentals anywhere either).

We heard about the Giggling Marlin from friends, and were told we have to go there, but beware!!! About 11:00 am, we walked up to the Giggling Marlin and decided to go in for lunch and a drink...

At the entrance, we were greeted by a seemingly nice gentleman who asked if we would be having lunch there. We said yes, but wanted to take a couple of pictures first, he said there is no charge for photos, and asked if my wife would like to be hung up-side down in the photo with the marlin backdrop, we agreed.

They hung my wife up-side down and took three pictures. As they were taking my wife down, I opened my wallet to offer a tip for the help, when one gentleman asked how much we agreed to PAY!! The second gentleman said $20 each!! I pulled out $5 dollars, and he said NO NO NO, that we agreed to $20 for him, and $20 for his helper!!! I placed the $5 on the table, took back my camera and walked out with my wife.

We decided to have lunch at Cabo Wabo instead. The staff at Cabo Wabo were friendly and warm.

If you decide to go to the Giggling Marlin, just beware the high pressure they apply for tips.