Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel beaches

We would like to make our own way from the Elation to a beach with good snorkeling facilities . . any suggestions? We've heard about Playa Corona or the Dzul Hau beach area and Palmar Beach Club . . . anyone visited any of these areas?

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Dawn Larkins

Default Re: Cozumel beaches

I have been on 13 cruises...in fact going on one in July. I always try to fit in Cozueml as one of the destinations. The best beach that I know of is ChanKannab......not sure of the spelling. If you book through the cruise line it will cost about $78 per person. They transport you there, let you swim for about an hour and a half and bring you back. But I always do this one on my own....very easy to do! The ship will dock right at town. When you get off the ship you will walk down a long pier. Pick a taxi but make sure that you agree on a rate before you ever get in the taxi. The last time I was there, 3 years ago, I believe it was about $6 one way per cab plus tip. The taxi drivers drive a little crazy so you will have to close your eyes at times. Ask to be taken to Chankannab state park. It is only about 10-15 minutes away. Once at the gate you will have to give him money to pay your way in. I think it is about $10 per person for the entire day. He will drop you off and just follow the path. The beach is gorgeous. There are restrooms and restaurants. Snorkeling is great. It is a little rocky getting down into the water and a little slippery so take your time and hold on to the ropes. There is a diving platform further out. You can stay all day. When you are ready to leave, just follow the path back and there will be taxis lined up. Once again agree on the price before getting into the taxi. They all charge about the same rate but if they think they can get more money from you, they will try. We always go first thing to the park, come back and change clothes, eat lunch on the ship and then head out for shopping. Diamond international, to me. sells the best selection of jewelry. If you do buy jewelry make sure to use a glass and inspect. Some of the stones at other stores look great until you look with the glass. Stay away from Tanznite that is light, cloudy or if you see dark spots. The best Tanzanite is dark, clear and reflects alot of light. I buy some everytime I go. Act as if you are uncertain when shopping and they will come down on price. If you have any other questions, please e-mail me. My name is Dawn. I am leaving on July 3 for Western Caribbean...and yes I am going to Cozumel again. Oh, go to the pharmacy and you can buy prescription drugs without a prescription. You can buy as much as you want. I always purchase Amoxicillan. The prices are great. Dawn Larkins
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:26 AM
ESS

We have been to Dzu-Ha four times. We have always enjoyed it there. One can rent a locker and buy a couple of cokes and spend the day for under ten dollars. The snorkeling there is excellent. Not only do groups from shore go to Dzu-Ha for expensive and quick snorkel adventures, but the water tours all stop there. Taxis are inexpensive -up to four individuals in a taxi for the same price.
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Passenger

Paradise Beach was great. Here is part of my review - In Cozumel we rented a mini van for about $100 and went to Paradise Beach. It was very nice. No fees but you are expected to buy food and drinks. Snorkeling equipment (deposit required), kayaks, umbrellas, chairs and much more are available. After staying at the beach for a few hours, we went shopping in downtown. I was not impressed with the prices. I would recommend that you have the general idea of what you are looking for to know if it is a good deal. The best example I can give is we went to the Kiss My Cactus Store for tequila. They let you sample and educate you on the different types. We bought one bottle for $60 and the a few stores down found the same bottle for $40. Next time we will just shop it around. In addition, we wanted to use our American Express but many of the stores would not take it.
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Sarah W

To "All Boys",
Can you tell me how to get to Paradise Beach at Cozumel from the pier? Sounds like fun!
Old July 1st, 2004, 02:39 AM
Passenger

When leaving the pier, turn right. Follow the signs to San Francisco Beach. Paradise is next door to it.
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Bob B Send a message via Yahoo to Bob B

I would suggest Mr Sanchos also. I think the snorkeling is ok, the food is amazing and the beach is beautiful. You can take a taxi from the pier there with no problem.

Old July 6th, 2004, 12:31 AM
teach

I went to Chankanaab park in Cozumel. There was great snorkeling and a great beach area. It was not crowded at all. You can take a taxi there and back with absolutely no problems! This was my favorite stop on the cruise...
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Sarah W

This is a great site for pictures and descriptions of all the Cozumel beaches:
http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html
scroll down to the bottom and use the interactive map.
Old August 1st, 2004, 06:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cozumel beaches

We have six people to transport around--did you see any minivan taxicabs in Cozumel? I guess if there aren't any, we would have to rent a car to get around ourselves. Thanks