Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default captain marvin's

We may book an excursion in Grand Caymen with captain marvins. Does anyone have any feedback? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: captain marvin's

I've read SEVERAL good reviews about Captain Marvin's, so I took the plunge this very morning and booked TWO Grand Cayman excursions (2 Hour Stingray City tour & the Hell/Turtle Farm Tour) for our stop on July 15. I sure hope they live up to the reviews. For two of us, it came to $107.00 total, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done those two trips with Captain Marvin's. i was concerned about not having time for both, but the rep assured me that we could.

Note: For our cruise, island time and ship time are the same. Island is Eastern STANDARD Time and ship is Central DAYLIGHT Time so they come out the same. Someone on one of the posts said that the island was Central Standard Time, which would put the ship one hour ahead, but the reps at C.M. convinced me they were EST. I was confused about the time conversion for a bit, but I think I've got it all figured out now.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Captain Marvin is great. I would ask what size boats he is using(people wise) You want to get onto a smaller one, they can get closer to the rays and you don't feel like you are on a "cattle boat"
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:48 AM
First Mate

Regarding the time issue - I was just in touch today with Sharon from Nativeway. She stated that in GC - they do not observe daylight savings time - so if we book a tour with that that departs at 8:30 AM Central Time - it would be 9:30 AM according to the ship time (Inspiration - August)... It all continues to confuse me.
Old June 7th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: captain marvin's

I, too, was confused at first.; however, if you visit the Captain Marvin's website, it states that Grand Cayman is on EASTERN Standard Time, not Central Standard Time, so if your ship were on Central DAYLIGHT Time (as the Conquest is), the time actually comes out to be the same. My undertanding is that Cozumel and Montego Bay are CENTRAL STANDARD TIME, so the ship's time (if you sailed from a CDT time zone) will be one hour ahead in those ports.

It, of course, depends where you embark from. If you sail out of a Florida port, the ship will be on EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME, so Grand Cayman time would be one hour behind.

Does this make sense?

You obviously have to be careful. I read a post that said they missed an excursion because they were told on the ship that they were one hour behind when they were really on the same time.
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:16 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Captain Marvin's Watersports

I have been fortunate to go on four excursions to Stingray City and Sandbar over the years, once scuba diving and three to the waist deep water of the Sandbar. This is an adventure not to be missed. The last two excursions (April 2002 & May 2004) to the Sandbar were with Captain Marvin's Watersports. (http://www.captainmarvins.com/)

Captain Marvin's is a truly superb organization. I can not think of enough superlatives for them. The people are incredibly friendly, gracious and helpful. They make you feel more like guests in their home than paying customers. The tours that my wife and I took were well organized and unrushed. The staff knew exactly what they were supposed to do and made everyone relaxed. And the bonus is that the fees are much less than offered on the ship. You can use the money you save to buy a Captain Marvin's crew member t-shirt like I did. (wink, wink)

We took the half-day excursion which included two snorkeling stops and then on to play with the stingrays at Sandbar. The snorkeling was fabulous with crystal clear water, gorgeous reefs and great variety of beautiful friendly tropical fish. Of course, the time feeding and playing with the stingrays is indescribable. The southern stingrays are like a bunch of enthusiastic puppies as they rub against your legs for food and attention.

I case you were wondering... there actually is a Captain Marvin... and here he is.

He and his dad pioneered feeding the stingrays and bringing the tourists to Stingray City over 50 years ago. He is 87 years young, and still takes excursions out six days a week. We were privileged to have him as captain on our excursion this year.

If you have any interest, there are several photos of our excursion included in my photo gallery Caribbean Princess 2004. Click on this link...
http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=1934

I can recommend Captain Marvin's Watersports with totally confidence that you will return with the same high praises as me.

Bob "MacTarheel"

PS Don't be concerned about the time. The cruise ship's personnel will help you sort it out. We were on the Caribbean Princess and set our clocks back an hour as we changed time zones. Our time matched Grand Cayman time, whatever the heck it was. (grins)

Post Edited (06-08-04 07:58)