Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2004, 09:50 AM
debmops

Default Nassau - Discover scuba

We have always dreamed of going scuba diving. But we always thought we would get our scuba intruction here at home before sailing but we booked this cruise last week and are sailing on June 11th so there isn't enough time to get our instruction here before we leave.

Has anyone done the discover scuda diving in Naussa? Did you feel the instructors were good? How about safety? Do you really get to make a shallow dive? If so how long is the dive and was it worth it or should we just snorkle?
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Nassau - Discover scuba

Have you checked that you are able to scuba without being certified? I looked at the Carnival excursions and you have to present a certification C-card to do them. I've never scuba dived, only snorkeled but if I were you I'd make sure because I think it takes more than a few minutes to learn.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM
debmops

Default Re: Nassau - Discover scuba

This says it is for folks who never have done scuba.....Says PADI scuba intructors are included and will have you ready to dive in the Bahamas. It is a 4 hour deal seeing that I never have gone scuba diving before I don't have a clue if that's enough time to learn or not. If I go I'll let you know in case you want to give it a try next time you are there.
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Nassau - Discover scuba

The cruise lines themselves usually only sponsor diving trips for people with c-cards, however if you book on your own with a private dive shop, you can take something called a resort or discover course and dive without being certified.
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:23 PM
BobS46

Default Re: Re: Re: Nassau - Discover scuba

I did this in January. They give you a short class on the trip to the beach. Once there you are set up with the gear then walk into the water. After some basic checks by your instructor, you follow the instructor around in 15 or 20 ft water. Total time in the water was only about 20 min. I wasn't impressed with the sealife but I thought the experience was a great way to try scuba without all the classes.