Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Beginner

Default Goff's Caye Island Getaway RCCL

We are going on the Enchantment in a couple of weeks and are trying to decide which shore excursion to take so we can do some snorkeling.

We are leaning towards the Goff's Caye excursion. Does anyone have any recent experience on how this is?

The other excursion we were checking out is the Barrier Reef and Beach at Rendezvous Caye.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Goff's Caye Island Getaway RCCL

Don't do it we just did and this is part of my review -

In Belize we went on the Goff’s Cay Snorkeling tour. Cost was $57 for adults and $46.50 for children (12 and under). Now we had problems with the tour, which the ship compensated us for but to be honest I still could not recommend this tour. The little island was dirty. They offer food but there is no way for them to sanitize or be sanitary in the conditions that are out there. They offered food/drinks but no refrigeration (only ice chest). The bathrooms were port a potties. There was no running water. The beach was dirty and the garbage can was over flowing. You could rent for $15 an umbrella and three chairs. One woman kept coming around to see if you wanted your hair braided. Even after we said no the second time she came around for a third time. There was another tour guide out there trying to get people to buy t-shirts and hats. He would not back off.

A few people went to shore and purchased this same tour for half the price. However, they had to be tendered to port, catch the tour, take a boat out to the island, take a boat back to port and then be tendered back to the ship. We were afraid of missing the ship so we stuck with the Carnival tour.
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:47 PM
kaye

Default Re: Re: Goff's Caye Island Getaway RCCL

Hi, we just came back from a cruise on Carnival Inspiration, May 30. My husband and I did do the Goffs Caye and snorling tour. We did not go thru the ship. We were one of those people that "All Boys" was talking about...it was alot of tendering from place to place, but we enjoyed the whole experience and it was one of the highlights of our first cruise. I don't remember the tour group name , but as soon as we walked off the pier we were greated by a very nice man named Frances,told us he could offer the tour for only $35.00pp and children were free. We agreed, he took us to his little office around the corner where we signed up and paid. We were told we would only have to wait for about 20 min, but it ended up being about and hour and a half. I don't think he expected it to take so long to fill the boat up, at that point we were very concerned about not having enough time for our tour and also about missing the ship. We were assured that we would not miss our boat and that we would enjoy our tour. And we did have a great time ! The guides were very nice and professional. There was no one there trying to sell us anything. The island is a tiny little island, but it is beautiful, and peaceful. I did not see any trash on the island when I first got there, but I could not find a trash can anywhere and thought that they really needed one. Maybe they were hauling it off to the dump when we were there. There were porta pottys, but I didn't even expect they would have those, so I was very happy to see them and was relieved at not having to hold it any longer ! I guess different people come away with different opinions, I guess I just wasn't expecting very much on such a tiny little island out in the middle of the ocean anyway, but that was the total beauty of it to me. It felt like time stood still, when I was there staring out into the crystal blue water. It was nothingness and it was an awsome sight.
The snorkling was also very good. I hoped I helped a little. ~K~
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:50 AM
Colin Gillett

Default Re: Goff's Caye Island Getaway RCCL

I am a tour guide from Belize City and for those who want to do snorkeling or relax on a beach with no crowds and a hassle free environment do not go to Goff's Caye. The island is always crowded with no infrastructures and space is limited. You can purchase snorkeling tours from off the Belize City dock for $50.00 per person to go to a private island right on the reef but that is if you want the type of positive experience mentioned above. You can contact me at email below if interested. The price quoted includes a guided snorkeling tour ,cool drinks and a great guide.

colin@royalmayanadventures.bz

I also offer other tours like cave tubing, Maya temple tours and wildlife/adventure type tours.