Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:23 AM
First Mate

Default Ship Time vs Local Time

I am cruising (first time) on Carnival Inspiration on 8/15. I am trying to set up my own shore excursions in Cozumel and Grand Cayman but am having trouble figuring the time thing out. I contacted Carnival 2 different times and received 2 different answers. The Carnival web site says we will be in Grand Cayman 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., so , is that 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.m Eastern Standard Daylight savings time, which is the time zone the ship originates out of? Which would mean we would be there 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. island time and need to set tour times an hour behind the ship time. Or is that 7:00 Central Standard Time, which is where Grand Cayman is? Can anyone help me? Also, is Cozumel on Central Standard Time?
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Ship Time vs Local Time

Jeleja

The ship will stay on Eastern Standard Daylight Saving Time the entire cruise. I sailed on the Inspiration the end of April and that's what it was for us. Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel will be one hour behind and Belize will be two hours behind. I arranged for all my own tours except for one and made sure the operators knew about the time difference and what time we had to be back to the ship. I didn't have any problems.

Darcy
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ship Time vs Local Time

So you are actually leaving at 2:00 Cayman time? What time does the last 'tender' or 'dingy' leave to make it back to the cruise ship on time? I am wondering if I have time to book the Atlantis Submarine, which ends at 1:00 or 1:15 at the latest. Is that cutting it too close or would I have time to make it back to the ship by 2:00?
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Yes, you will leave at 2:00 Grand Cayman time. The last tender back to the ship will be at 1:30 Grand Cayman time. Depending on where the Atlantis Submarine is in proximity to the ship you may be cutting it a little close.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know if this will help, but I made up a "formula" to help me keep all of the times straight. It may be overkill and it may just confuse some, but it works for me!

Central Standard Time (CST)
Central Daylight Time (CDT)
Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)

Note: Your ship will stay on the time used in its home port. I assigned X to my home port , New Orleans, which is CDT, and worked from there. You can keep CDT as X or reassign it to the time of your homeport and make up your own formulas.

CST = x -1 hour
CDT = x
EST = x
EDT = x + 1 hours

Cozumel and is on CST
Grand Cayman is on EST

If you depart from New Orleans (CDT) and ship time is 8, then island time in Cozumel (CST) is 7 (x - 1)

If you depart from New Orleans (CDT), and ship time is 8, then island time for Grand Cayman is the same because EST and CDT are the same.

Bon Voyage!

Conquest 7/11