Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Default All Inclusive Resorts in Montego Bay

I have read on several message boards about a few all inclusive resorts in Montego Bay, Jamaica that will allow cruisers onto their properties for the day for a flat rate. The resorts I have heard about are: Sandals ($55 pp for the day) and Sunset Beach Resort ($20 pp for the day). Does anyone have any information on either of the above properties (exact cost to get in, what does it include, hours, etc.), specifically Sunset Beach, or have you heard of any others that might have offers like this? Also, if you know the distance from the pier to the resort, that would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:48 PM
gummie22

Default Re: All Inclusive Resorts in Montego Bay

We've stayed at Sandals Montego Bay 18 times as guests, and absolutely love the resort and its huge private beach. There are no vendors and the beach is very long. Since it's an all inclusive, all of the watersports toys do not cost extra: aqua cycles, hobie cats, sunfish, water skiing, wind surfing, snorkeling trips and even scuba diving. We're going on a cruise in August that stops in Montego Bay, and we've already made arrangements to spend most of the day at Sandals Montego Bay, after doing a little shopping at our favorite jewelry/coffee store. Whatever the day rate is, it includes food, drink and all the activities, so it is a definite bargain compared to other beach excursions in MoBay. $55 sounds like a real bargain to me. Have fun!
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just got an e-mail from Sandals about the day rates for their resorts. If it is a Sandals Inn, a day pass (10am - 6pm) is $60 per person. If it is a Sandals or Beaches Resort, the rate for a day pass (10am - 6pm) is $85 per person.

The Sunset Beach Resort rate ($20 pp) is a LOT more reasonable, but I now have to wonder if there is a major difference in the amenities or if the price difference is due mainly to the Sandals name. I saw on one post that someone noticed several ship's crew members at the Sunset Beach Resort, which sounds like a good endorsement to me.

I've also seen some positive posts about Dr's Cave Beach, which is even less expensive. Anyone out there have any experience with all three?
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: All Inclusive Resorts in Montego Bay

thanks for the info. we are going to be there in july off the carnival conquest. do you think the resort would be fun for three teenagers and the parents? i heard that the sunset beach resort was a good alternative. how did you make arrangements and get transportation to sandals? many thanks
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:45 AM
gummie22

Default Re: Re: Re: All Inclusive Resorts in Montego Bay

Remember, all Sandals resorts are for adult couples only, NO children. They do not allow children on the property, even for the day (except for wedding ceremonies). Though their Beaches resorts invite everyone, the closest Beaches resorts are in Negril which is a very long drive. We won't be able to bring our son with us (4 yrs. old) when we visit - he'll need to stay on the ship.

We contacted the hotel directly to make arrangements, and will take a cab from the port.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:46 AM
gummie22

Default Re: Re: Re: All Inclusive Resorts in Montego Bay

Remember, all Sandals resorts are for adult couples only, NO children. They do not allow children on the property, even for the day (except for wedding ceremonies). Though their Beaches resorts invite everyone, the closest Beaches resorts are in Negril which is a very long drive. We won't be able to bring our son with us (4 yrs. old) when we visit - he'll need to stay on the ship.

We contacted the hotel directly to make arrangements, and will take a cab from the port.
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Admiral

gummie22 - question, why not try something different, and pick a place where you can take your 4year old son? Depending upon which ship you are on, some close down the kids programs while the ship is in port, if that is the case you will have to hire a sitter by the hour for your son.There are lots of nice hotels with beaches that are very kid friendly
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:25 PM
gummie22

Default Re: Re: All Inclusive Resorts in Montego Bay

Hi Lisa:

Well, we got married there and are very friendly with the manager, his family, and many of the staff. Since we had our son, we haven't been able to visit our favorite Sandals because they don't allow children (we've gone to Beaches instead). So, we want to visit our "family." We're on Princess, so they have a full kids program on port days. And we are doing lots of things with him on the other days (semi-sub, dolphins, beach, snorkeling). Who knows? Maybe they will let us sneak him onto the property - everyone does want to see him.

Lorri
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Passenger

I just got back from a week at Sunset. Very nice long beach. Good for kids, and plenty of space to get away from kids. They have kayaks and snorkel you can use for free. Good drinks, plenty of red stripe. You can get a massage on the beach for $1 a minute. Also a nude beach. They have showers/towels/soap/shampoo in the changing rooms. Pools, swim up bar, hot tub. Great jerk chicken. Wish I was there now!
Donna