Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM
CindyAlaska04

Default Dogsled on Wheels???

There is an excursion out of Skagway called "Mush the Yukon Dogsled Experience". The description on the tour is

"What a great Yukon experience! Miles of pristine wilderness, crystal lakes, waterfalls and glaciers, and the dog sled ride of a lifetime with a real dog "musher!" Follow the 1898 Gold Rush Trail into Canada 's legendary Yukon , climb aboard the dog sled and feel the thrill of being whisked through the area actually traveled by the Gold Rush Stampeders! Even though the winter snows are melted, you can still enjoy the dog sledding experience on our custom-made dog sled on wheels. These dogs and mushers are experienced professionals, having conquered the Yukon Quest - an arduous 1000-mile dog sled journey from Fairbanks to Whitehorse , Yukon Territory ! Hear their unique and exciting stories. Included is the North's premier educational wildlife exhibit, including Yukon wildlife and the world's largest polar bear! Approx. 6 hours, includes full lunch and museum admission,"

My husband and I were thinking about doing this excursion and where wondering if anyone had done this and if so how was it??

Thanks!
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:25 AM
KIM STANTON

Default Re: Dogsled on Wheels???

Hi

I ahve not done this exact trip but did dogsled in Canada.

Be prepared for 50 plus dogs, their howls and especially their smells - they tend to go to the toilet as they go!

But as a dog lover, I took this as part of the experience - it was fantastic - hard work and despite the extreme cold, we were sweating buckets by the time we had a break. The dogs were so friendly and eager to go, plus even though some of the dogs were not pure huskys and a bit of a heinz 57, they are stronger than you think and can pull you along with an ease that is unbeleivable!

Our journey was about 5 hours - it flew by - the scenary was picture postcard stuff, partly frozen lakes and rivers - it was a sunny day and one of the best experiences of my life! Be careful not to fall off as the dogs will carry on going - if you are a bit nervous, ask to go with the musher

Hope this helps a bit - have a great time!!
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dogsled on Wheels???

Sounds like a unique excursion!!