Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default belize and bugs

I hate bugs. I was really looking forward to cave tubing. I just read that the excursion includes a 45 minute walk through the rainforest. How bad are the bugs?
Kris
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: belize and bugs

Holy Crap Christina!!! I did not even THINK about the bugs. My 14 year old son talked me into the Biking in Belize excursion, which is a 6 hour bike ride through the rainforest.
And I can handle some bugs, but I have an extreme phobic fear of spiders. I cant even get close to them to smash them. God as my witness, I have a can of bug spray on each floor in my house, and If I see one, I spray it, when it starts to slow down to die, I get my vacuum cleaner and 'suck it up'. I wont get close enough to scoop it up with a tissue. Now I am worried. I hope there are not a lot of spiders in Belize!
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM
First Mate

we didn't do cave tubing in belize - went to tour Altun Ha just outside Belize City and they were BAD!!!! they were biting like crazy! The only good thing is that the bites didn't seem to last like mosquito bites - they just bit and then there was nothing when you left. weird.
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

I did the Cave tubing in Belize and I didn't see any bugs nor did I get bit. I usually get eatten alive my mosquitos etc, but I didn't get bit once on the entire cruise go figure.

Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:53 AM
JayPS

No bugs when we did our trip. If you go cave tubing, check with X-stream , they were awesome!
Old July 31st, 2004, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: belize and bugs

Hello,
We will be in Belize in Jan.on cruise and are interested in the cave tubing. How do we contact Xtreme, and will they get us back to the ship on time?
Thanks!
Old August 1st, 2004, 03:33 PM
nacho

Hi Kristine, my name is Nacho and I am a tour guide here in Belize. Let me tell first off that it is true we have mosquitos and bugs here in Belize, but it is no big problem that a can of "OFF" bug spray can't take care of. There are so many things to do here that you shouldn't let a few bugs worry you. But if you don't want to go into the rainforest, then take a walk downtown (you don't even have to go in taxi) it is only five minutes from the docks. You will pass over our famous manually operated swing-bridge and then you will be right downtown where you can do some shopping (much cheaper than at the docks). Then on the same downtown street you just continue forward for another five minutes and you will come to another famous structure, it is the Anglican Cathedral Church built in 1812 by the slaves using bricks brought by ships from Europe as ballast. Or you can do a complete City Tour which takes you all over Belize City showing you all the historical sites and take you downtown to shop if you want and this tour last for 1 hour 15 minutes. Well I hope this information was helpful to you. If you need more info please feel free to contact me at kip2299@yahoo.com
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to golabonte

I just booked with Xtreme, and they were awesome. www.belizecruiseexcursions.com
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I was there in April and did the cave tubing. We used Off before we went in and didn't have any problems with bugs. Didn't see any spiders. I got them in a wipe form at Walmart and they worked great.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

hi, just off the Paradise 2 days ago (sniff, sniff,). We did the cave tubing. I was prepared with my deet loaded Off spray, but our guide advised us not to use it. He said we'd be crossing the stream right away and most of it would wash off anyway. Being neurotic, I sprayed the kids and myself from the knees down, picturing a rain forest that would look like those in the movies!. I left dh to fend for himself. we each got about 4 bites each and they were not even itchy.

as for the rain forest, it looked more like a typical forest preserve. we saw some large red ants and no other bugs. Don't let that stop you.

happy sailing
Old August 8th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: belize and bugs

Hi. My husband and I did the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour in Belize in November 2002 and it was wonderful. There were mosquitos and I was bitten several times. I spoke with my doctor about visiting Belize and she said just bring bug spray. No worries. It's a beautiful country--not worth missing because of bugs.

Jubilee (1990)
Tropicale (1993)
Imagination (1995)
Dawn Princess (1997)
Triumph (2001)
Pride (2002 and 2003)
Conquest (2004)
Legend (upcoming 2005)