Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Default volcanoes or Haleakala crater

If you had to pick between going to Volcanoes National Park or Haleakala crater which one would you pick? or both? Having a hard time picking shore excursions Also which is the best waterfall in Hawaii? Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: volcanoes or Haleakala crater

Volcano National Park will put you in a position to see a live volcano (perhaps), some lava flowing and steam in the water etc.
Haleakala crater is dormant. Many folks go up to see the sunrise, (need to start out at about 230 am or so to do this). The crater itself is absolutely tremendous , beautiful sights, colors and views.
Two completely different experiences. Your choice or do both.
On the rainy side of every island there are great water falls. On Kaui the is (amoung others) Wailoua Falls (near the Wailoua River). Also from helicopter or boat on Napali Coast line (think Jurasic Park) On Maui, there are literally dozens of fall on the rainy side when doing the road to Hana.
Want to see it all? do helicopter tours on each island and you'll get to see mountains, falls , seashore. volcanos, creaters and more.
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:14 PM
First Mate

Personally I would do both. As PapaBill says: They are very different experiences.
The views on Haleakala are amazing (any time of the day) and the experience of viewing a live Volcano on B.I. is fascinating.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM
gumpgirl

I did both a couple of weeks ago and I would not trade either. We actually walked on the lava tubes and saw lava under our feet about 3 to 4 feet down. A great guide led us to the steaming spots where we were actually on top of it. Amazing.

I then did the Mt. Haleakala on Maui. The view was breathtaking. You could see the
whole island of Maui from the top. We then rode a bicycle 38 miles downhill, with no pedaling. Thrilling.

Enjoy!
Old August 7th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Thank you for your comments each one of you

Gumpgirl did you take the ship excursions or did you do them on your own?

I can't wait Sept. 26 on the Serenade