Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Mel Armstrong

Default Stingray City/Sandbar

I would like to do Stingray City/Sandbar in Grand Cayman? Are there any tour operators at the port when we get off the ship to just organise there and then?
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Stingray City/Sandbar

Mel

I would recommend booking in advance. I used Soto's Cruises. It was $24/pp. We did two snorkel sites and the Sting Ray sandbar. There were about 14 of us on the boat. They picked us up at the pier and returned us there when the tour was over. I highly recommend them. We all had a great time. I have seen other posts about both Nativeways and Captain Marvin's who both appear to be highly recommended but I found Soto's to be a little cheaper. Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Stingray City/Sandbar

after reading all the post here in regards to Sotos we booked ours and we will be there aug 23 i will let you know what we thought.

Jerry
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:24 PM
PaulO

No matter how you go you are in for a real thrill. Just make sure you get there. Make sure you bring an underwater camera.
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:03 PM
First Mate

also consider nativeways - they were great. book on line - credit card deposit not required. t hey meet you on the pier.
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Admiral

yes there are some tour operators at the pier as you get off the tenders, again as the other have said, they all book up very fast, your best bet would be to either book in advance or make sure that you are on the first tender off your ship to get to a local tour operator and try to get onto a tour with the Rays.
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

A group of 9 of us got off the ship, went to the pier and were able to negotiate a wonderful price much lower than the cruise excursion for exactly the same tour. We went over winter break and had no problem.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:29 PM
Mia

There were several tour operators waiting on the shore as we disembarked. Whether you do it from the ship or independently, do it! It was fantastic!
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Mia

After reading other postings, I recommended Sotos to a good friend who just returned. They LOVED it. When we took the trip, we booked it from the ship. Not only was it more expensive but the boat was like a ferry with no seats and we made only 1 stop. Sotos had 3 stops, enough seats and sold a great DVD of the trip that shows your family enjoying itself. I'm going back to Grand Cayman in December & will be using Sotos this time.
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:43 PM
the blonde shopper

Default Re: Re: Stingray City/Sandbar

we will be going Dec. 11 -18 on the Grand Princess. We would like to take the stingray city, sandbar . We have heard that it is best to book it ahead of the cruise. Can you give us any information we could use. Will you be on the same cruise?? Looking forward to meeting fellow cruisers. We are from Texas, so if you could give us some information would appreciate it .
Thanks,
the blonde shopper
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:58 AM
MarthaP

you used to be able to find people when you got off ship but I've read that so many boats have been ruined in hurricane Ivan so they will all book up really fast!

I was so happy to read that Captain Brians Catamaran made it so we have booked with them again:-)!! Can't Wait!
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM
cruiser1999

We just used Captain Marvin's on 11/2. About a 5 minute walk from the pier (to the left). 3 hour snorkeling/stingray tour. Van leaves store at 9:30... back to store by 1:30. 2 snorkeling stops and then the stingrays. $39.00. They supply equipment, water and fruit punch. They also offer a snorkeling vest, so if you are a beginner, you don't have to worry about staying afloat. The water is so clear that you can see pretty much everything from the surface. Definitely recommend them. It was a great experience!! Hopefully this will answer your questions. Email if you have any other questions. fbe2228@sbcglobal.net