Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Passenger

Default Turtle Farm @ Grand Cayman

Hi Everyone!!

We were wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, which excursions would
you recommend? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Celebrity Solstice--Nov.30, 2008
Our First Cruisemates Cruise!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Turtle Farm @ Grand Cayman

do it on your own, no need to book and excursion, just grab a cab. The turtle farm is very interesting, especially for young children, they seem to love it. If you get there just after a hatching their are little baby turtles everywhere. The huge old sea turtles are very interesting to look at, they don't do much they are just huge and lumbersome. Its not something that would take all day.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:23 PM
First Mate

We cruised last week and did the Stingray City Sandbar/Turtle Farm/ Hell tour. The Turtle Farm was interesting but it is not very big and you won't spend much time there. I hightly recommend doing the Stingray City Sandbar. My son (14 years old) and I swam with the stingrays and even held one. It was an awesome experience.
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

We also did Stingray City/Turtle Farm/Hell and I gotta tell ya I loved Hell. Not really Hell, but the little gift shop. Those older gentlemen yelling "who the hell is next?" crack me up....

It was fun to send ourselves a post card postmarked from "Hell".... and we had to get the souvenirs, too....
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM
KIM STANTON

Default Re: Re: Turtle Farm @ Grand Cayman

Hi

I agree with you -we went last year - the turtles were good to see and it amazed me how they went all sleepy when you stroked them under their chins!

The stingray swim was a once in a lifetime experience I will never forget - slightly scary - there was a lot of screaming going on - and a bit wierd when they tried to suck the salt of you - a stingray love bite! but was really good. Sending postcards from Hell also appealed to the child in me, so sent several cards, just because I could!

Have a great time!
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Admiral

There is a Grand Cayman turtle farm webcam. We have been on it before. Now after the hurricane, it may not be operating for the next while. I think we found it through the earthcam(???) website. It was kind of cool to see some of the GCTurtle farm!!!

Old September 11th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Thanks to everyone for your informative responses!!

Celebrity Solstice--Nov.30, 2008
Our First Cruisemates Cruise!!!
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM
RCIcruiser

Don't mean to dampen your plans, but according to early reports of hurricane damage in grand cayman, the turtle farm doesn't exist anymore. I'm sure they will rebuild it...hopefully it will be sooner than later. The web cams will probably be down for a while too. I was there about two weeks ago and did the stingray city tour...just wondering if that sandbar still exists too. In any case, it was an awesome experience.