Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Jamie K

Default shore excursions: Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman

Hello! I will be cruising the Western Caribbean with 3 children, ages 12, 9 and 6. Our ship, Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas, will be stopping in Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. What are the most outstanding shore excursions for kids at these ports?
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: shore excursions: Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman

Jamie

We just did all those ports in Apri with three of our children, ages 10, 12 & 15. In Grand Cayman we did the Sting Ray Sandbar and 2 snorkel sites with Soto's Cruises. It lasted about three hours and was $24/pp. I highly recommend them. In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Park and did the Sea Trek Helmet Diving and the Sea Lion swim. We also did some snorkeling right off the beach. In Costa Maya we walked around the shops and then rented a golf cart and went to Mahahual. There's a beautiful beach there. We walked around, laid on the beach and just relaxed for a couple of hours. I posted a detailed review on this site under Reader Reviews, Carnival, Inspiration if you want to take a look. I reviewed all of our excursions and the prices. Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, take the kids to Sting Ray City, they will remember that day forever.. Nice beach in Cozumel is Chankanaab Park, thats also where they have the dolphin swim, snorkeling is good there as well. Its also very easy to take a cab there on your own, or you can always do a ship excursion, they always have them going there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Passenger

As far as Costa Maya goes, there are many activities to do with kids. The little town of Majahual offers watersports such as parasailing (very safe here,) waverunner rentals, banana boat rides, water trampoline, snorkeling, dive companies, great food and drink and one of the most beautiful beaches around. There are tours that go to ruins if you don't mind a bus ride. Also there is a Monkey Sanctuary about 10 min. away from Majahual. They help injured and orphaned monkeys ( and other animals.) You can hold the babies. The port has shopping and a saltwater pool. The beach is rather rocky here. Majahual is a couple miles from the pier, and also another beach called Uvero Beach is very nice. It's all paradise. They have taxis, golf carts for rent, busses, or you can walk from the dock.
Old September 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Bubbles

In Costa Maya there is a great site full of info on the port and tours. Go to Costa maya Cruise Excursion at http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com

In Grand Cayman we loved the Buccaneer Catamaran to stingray city, they have the best rates on Cayman Islands Discounts http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.co..._Excursion.htm
Old September 20th, 2004, 07:22 AM
First Mate

Jamie, In Grand Cayman Stingray City Sandbar is a must. My son and I enjoyed it so much. Also, in Cozumel, Sea Trek Helmet Diving. Believe me, you and your kids will NOT be disappointed with either of these excursions! For the helmet diving, you can book it through cozumelinsider.com to save money (it's kind of expensive but worth it).
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:57 AM
First Mate

I agree about Stingray City, but from what I've heard, Grand Cayman has been all but destroyed by Ivan. I wouldn't think that the ship will be going there. I could be wrong - I hope so - Grand Cayman was one of the nicest places in the Caribbean.
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: shore excursions: Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Ca

I just received a message from Carnival today saying that our cruise that stops in Grand Cayman on October 5 or 6 is still planning on stopping there. So they are planning it at least for now.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Jamie K

Default Re: Re: shore excursions: Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Ca

Darcy, Donna, Crabette, Bubbles, jeleja, readytogo, Knode89, thank you so much for your helpful reply! What exactly is Sea Trek Helmet Diving and is there an age restriction (my youngest child will be 6)? Also, at the beaches in Majahual and Chankanaab Park, can we rent beach chairs, umbrellas, etc? Jamie K
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Jamie

Sea Trek Helmet Diving is where you are in the water walking around on the bottom of the ocean about 20' down with a helmut on your head that they pump air into. The water never gets above your neck. You don't have to be able to swim to do this. I booked it through the ship and paid $90/pp for adults and $80/pp for the kids. This included entrance to the park ($12/pp for adults and $6/pp for kids if you go on your own) and round trip transportation (about $15 each way if you go on your own). You're underwater for about half an hour. We had a great time and the kids loved it. If you do it make sure you bring an underwater camera.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03