Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:06 PM
ESS

Default transportation Cabo San Lucas

I have asked this question on other board - no answer yet. Perhaps there will be more luck here.

We are going arrive in Cabo San Lucas mid to late morning and leave at 6pm. I have heard that the snorkeling is much better at two beaches outside of town. Those two beaches are Santa Maria and Chileno. They are on the way to San Jose - Santa Maria is about 6 miles out of town and Chileno is 10 miles out.

Has anyone snorkeled at these two beaches?
If so - which one would you recomend and why?
I read there is regular bus service from Cabo San Lucas to San Jose. Do these buses stop at either or both beaches? What is the cost?
If we cannot obtain a bus, has anyone taken a taxi to either of these beaches and what was the cost?
Are there any services at either beach - swim club, bathroom, shade etc?

Thank you

ESS
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Captain

Default Re: transportation Cabo San Lucas

My boss goes to Cabo every year. I'll ask him for you on Monday.
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:58 AM
jaxgirl

We have a time share in Cabo so have been there many times. When we do not rent a car and want to go snorkeling, we take the Sun Rider snorkel boat trip. It is about a four hour trip, leaves around 9:30 or 10:00 AM from a dock at the marina. It's a short walk from where the tenders dock. This past January the cost was $35.00 U.S. per person and included the ride over to Bahia Santa Maria, open bar during the whole trip with margaritas, pina coladas, rum punch, beer and soft drinks. Also includes all the snorkel gear and about an hour for playing around in the water. After snorkeling, they barbecue a nice carne asada lunch with all the fixings. On the way back to the marina there is music and somtimes a guitar player. We have taken this four or five times and have always enjoyed it. We have also found that the fish viewing is not quite as good as in the Caribbean but still very enjoyable. Finally, FYI, there are no services at Bahia Santa Maria like bathrooms or a swim club. Sometimes some locals selling food and beverages. Enjoy!
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:16 PM
ESS

Thank you for the information!
If we miss the tour as we are coming in by ship and have to tender to shore - are there buses to these beaches?
Which beach is better for snorkeling? - Santa Maria or Chinelo?
Luckily we have our own snorkel equipment - so obtaining rental equipment at the beach won't be a problem!
Thanks

ESS
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Stacy Holden

I'm sorry I won't be much help on your specific question. We just were in Cabo on a Princess cruise. If you are snorkeling I'm glad to hear you aren't headed West. The waves and rip tide are treacherous on that side. Fishing is good.
When you arrive at the docks there are lots of people offering private snorkeling at the point of Cabo, glass bottom boat rides, para-sailing, etc. I'm sure you can find a taxi. Be sure to negotiate the rate before taking the ride. Have a great time.