Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Default Malibu Rum tour

Has anyone gone on the Malibu rum & Beach tour offered in Barbados (Carnival)?
Just wondering what it was like, and if it was worth it to book through cruise line or try and get a taxi on our own schedule.
I need some feedback on the rum tour, as there appears like a lot of possibilities of things to do in Barbados.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Malibu Rum tour

I went and found it was very educational. After the tour you get a drink with the Malibu Rum. Its not as elaborate as the Bacardi Rum tour in Puerto Rico, but very interesting non the less. I would say go ahead
Old October 19th, 2004, 12:18 PM
mingo

Default Re: Re: Malibu Rum tour

We did this tour. LOVED it. After the tour you are given your choice of drinks. You are given a chaise and umbrella on their private beach to relax. That sand is like powdered sugar! Mh DH & DS rented jet skis. It was a perfect day. We could see the ship docked in the distance too. Don't miss their Malibu Lime. It's not available in the states. I keep it in my private stash and only drink it when I need to "get back to the islands".
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Malibu Rum tour

I can practically hear Jimmy Buffet playing in the background as you sip Malibu Lime! My that beach sounded inviting. Plus jet skiis for my DH & DS too is an added benefit. Thanks for info. Glad to know I'll have to stock up a bit! I love going on how they make it tours!
I am a casual drinker as well and just got back from a road trip to St. Louis. The family did a brewery tour, at Andheiser Busch and learned they licensed from Bacardi and produced a suprisingly great "low carb: product called Baccardi silver I tried and actually loved. May want to check it out too: I like green apple best, those that like cream sodas may prefer Cherry cream. Be careful though it goes down like Caribbean Rum punch...
You didn't mention it---did you book tour through ship or take a cab? If you did book through ship how long did you have at beach? Thanks.

Old December 29th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Rick_V

I don't know about the tour but I was surprised to find that Malibu wasn't cheap on Barbados. I bought the same bottle for 1/2 the price in the San Juan airport.
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:31 PM
First Mate

Did they have the lime Malibu rum in other ports?

Old December 31st, 2004, 06:49 PM
Passenger

A couple of years ago we did the Malibu Beach Rum Tour from the Destiny. From what I gather the cost of the excursion and the cost of the Cab Ride plus admittance is about the same. The tour was like most of the rum tours. The beach is actually very nice. Good Changing rooms too with lockers (for a couple of bucks)

We brought back a bottle of the Lime. (and more importantly, we got a handful of the little mini bottles to sneak on board {you hand the big bottle to the crewmember checking in booze on board, but the small bottles keep in pocket or bag as you board}) The Lime Rum is absolutely fantastic in Pink Grapefruit juice.

You get one free drink with the tour. Each purchased drink also gets you a complimentary mini. You can get hammered at the beach with one or two of the Grapefruit and Lime Rum.

Just finished our large bottle of Malibu Lime. Don't have Barbados on the next cruise, (but have St. Croix (home of Cruzan which also makes a Lime Rum, but not of the same quality.)

The beach is fine. although you seem to look out over the industrial port. Smooth Sand, good palapas, nice chairs, warm water, and not many vendors (although there are a few, notably the Jet Ski Hawkers, and the guy weaving hats out of palm fronds.) but they don't seem to be overly zealous, like the Malibu Beach Club would have them banned or something.

Great CHEAP excursion. Would probably go back next time.
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:15 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the great review, sounds like a good way to spend part of the day, plus some dock shopping. Your review was very informative and helpful. Too bad the turtle tours are offered here also, I am torn, but likely will enjoy exploring on my own and just relaxing.

Old January 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM
First Mate

Anyone know if Malibu rum is on any other ports? Price?