Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Hendrik

Default insurance coverage for parasailing, horseback riding, etc.

Does anyone know if tour operators for "dangerous activities" (e.g. horseback riding, parasailing, helicopter rides) carry their own insurance to cover you if you get hurt since most insurance policies exclude injuries resulting from these activites? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: insurance coverage for parasailing, horseback riding, et

Hendrick -

For the horseback riding and parasailing we had to sign waivers. We also had to sign them for the dolphin swim, Sea Trek Helmet Diving, snorkeling and any other activity that we participated in. These waivers released the companies from any responsibility for injuries or death. If you didn't sign you couldn't participate. My best guess would be that the companies don't have insurance to cover any injuries and you would have to rely on your own medical coverage. Hope this helps.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Hendrik

Default Re: Re: insurance coverage for parasailing, horseback riding

Thanks for the input. Do you or anyone else know of a travel insurance policy that covers these activities? The ones I've looked at don't. Thanks again!
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I don't know of one. Our medical insurance will cover just about everything, except for skydiving. I would double check your policy carefully just to see what exactly is excluded.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Randi

Default Re: Re: insurance coverage for parasailing, horseback riding

Waivers do not mean anything more in Mexico than in the States and to sue for an injury would take a long time being country to country. I personally do not know of any excursion that can really get insurance. I could be wrong on that but it is basically "at your own risk." Look at the waivers you sign in the states and in the fine print they say the same thing.
Just what I've heard. That does not mean to be afraid or only take ship sponsered excursions. Again, from what I have heard that is not a difference in insurance.
All excursions do their best to keep you safe, but remember, when you are out of the US people expect you to take responsibility for yourselves and not rely on being able to sue for an inconvience. Most countries are not a sue happy as the states. If you burn yourself on hot coffee and the cup says "HOT COFFEE" it's your fault not theirs. They warned you.
Have a happy and safe cruise. Be responsible and you will have more than a good time anywhere you travel.
Calm Seas,
Randi
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Randi

Default Re: Re: Re: insurance coverage for parasailing, horseback ri

Forgot to mention that Boy am I going to get alot of heck for posting that.
I must ammend one thing. Many of the private van guys do have insurance but as to the extent I don't know.
I just figured it was time for somebody to say something. I be the one. Flack or no.
Let's wait and see the responses. That should be interesting.
Happy Cruising,
Randi
Old October 31st, 2004, 12:35 PM
Hendrik

Thanks Randi for your thoughts. For the record I'm not looking to sue anyone or for tort reform. It is an interesting culture shock that you mention. I remember being on top of the Eiffel Tower and being amazed that I could easily jump off without anyone stopping me. Anyway, since I've posted this question I've read several insurance policies closely and I've found a couple that don't list excursion type activities as exclusions, or they list a few things individually (e.g. rock climbing, skydiving) but not with a catch all like "ultra hazerdous, extremely dangerous, what's wrong withh you for thinking that this would be a good idea" phrasing. There are some policies designed for hazardous sports much like the ones the sold in high school for football players (those are more pricey.) If anyone is interested and needs some help, email me and I'll send you what I've found
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:54 PM
Randi

I sure did not think that you would even consider it.
I did some investigating and you can buy travel insurance for the time of your trip. Not sure on the cost but it might be worth it.
Sorry, Sure did not mean to offend.
Happy Cruising,
Randi
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:51 PM
Hendrik

No offense taken. Thanks for your input.

Hendrik