Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:29 PM
First Mate

Default Rent or buy snorkel gear

Family of 5 going to Grand Cayman (Sting Ray City with Cpt Marvin) also going to Roatan and Cozumel. We plan beach days at these ports. We went shopping for snorkel gear today. Expensive to buy but salesmen said that rental stuff is dirty, broken, and does not have one way valves(?) so that we drink sea water. In your experience...is this a worthy investment or just something we blew money ?
Thanks, Karyn
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Rent or buy snorkel gear

I don't know how much you spent or where so it is hard to comment on price or value. Equipment quality and condition will vary greatly from tour to tour.
I always recommend bringing at least your own mask and snorkel. Snorkel , at least for me, for sanitary reasons. Mask , for fit reasons, (and vision correction if you need it).
Most often you can get along ok with fins provided by the tour. Try them on when they are first given to you however. You don't want to spend half your time in the water trying to exchange for fins that don't fit.
One way valves are nice , I guess, but in 45 years of snorkelling I've never used one and never taken in a mouthfull of water.
I simply like my own mask and snorkel and if you are going a couple of times on your trip, I believe you will like having your own stuff.
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:24 PM
reverendjeff

My wife and I bought good snorkels at a local dive shop that are the one way type, about 40.00 each. We bought a mask there as well. If you plan on using the equipment often, it is worth having your own. You can get a very servicable set which has mask, fins, snorkel and bag from Bass pro shop. They have them online as well. If you do a search online you will see the same type of set offered anywhere from 29 dollars up. I suspect that most rental equipment is fine to use if you are not planning on doing this very often. The one way snorkel allows you to go under water without taking in water.
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:57 AM
First Mate

I see on E-bay that there are wonderful deals on snorkel mask and mouth tube thingie...told you I am new to this. . Any advise on that? I live in Minnesota and Walmart and Sams club sont cary them here in the winter.
Karyn
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Passenger

We are a family of five in the same situation... it adds up quickly! We decided that instead of doing an excursion we would purchase our equipment and be able to snorkel on our own. We found great deals all over the internet. Leisure Pro really wanted our business and made us a great deal on nice equipment. It worked out to about $60/person. This was with the Genesis mojave dry snorkel, valve system not to let water in. $20.

I am not sure what kind of a real deal we got, but I feel good about it after 2 days of heavy investigating on the internet.
Leisurepro.com I believe.

Good Luck!

Happy Holidays!!

Old December 1st, 2004, 12:00 PM
Admiral

For me personally, if you are a first-time snorkeler its better to rent your gear ON THE SHIP- rent it for the week(its usually cheaper than daily rentals) just to see if snorkeling is for you. If you try snorkeling and you love it- then buy yourself a good quality mask & snorkel. If its not for you then you haven't made a purchase that you won't use.
Don't bother with the fins unless you have very large or very small feet. Fin rental is cheap
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Passenger

We rented one time and the gear was in such poor condition that we decided not to rent again. Even when we asked for a clean mask or a clean mouth piece it seemed beyond the ship's staff to know what "clean" meant. We are NOT talking sanitary....we were just asking that the larger pieces of sand, tar, and goop, be cleaned off. If you rent plan to spend some time cleaning the gear and getting a good fit on your face. Ask for new straps if there are cracks in the straps you have been given. It is NO FUN to have your mask fall off and then have to dive for your mask without a mask!

We found a GREAT selection and good pricing at snorkelcity.com. They delivered in two days without taxes or any extra shipping charges. [we have no financial interest in snorkelcity.com]

CARNIVAL:TRIUMPH-W. Caribbean-Apr. 16, '05
NORWEGIAN DREAM-Pacific Costal May 16, '05
CARNIVAL:IMAGINATION-W. Caribb. Oct., '05
NORWEGIAN DREAM-W.Carib. Nov. 12, '05
NORWEGIAN SUN-Pacific Costal-May 10, '06
NORWEGIAN DAWN New England Sept 13, '06
NORWEGIAN STAR Mexican Rivera Jan 1, '07
NORWEGIAN WIND Hawaii March 3, '07
PLANNED: HAL Volendam Alaska June 1-8, '07
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:56 PM
First Mate

O.K. I am convinced to buy at least the mask and snorkel. I really appreciate all the time you all took to help me out. Thanks alot!.
Karyn
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Rent or buy snorkel gear

We purchased our gear. So glad because we took it to every port, even if we didn't know what the beach offered. We loved snorkeling and we were able to snorkel at every beach! We had the one way valves and I appreciated it. The rental gear did not have the one way valves. I look forward to getting a lot of use out of our gear.

Old December 4th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Jean & Steve anderson

just got back today from cruise! we took our own mask snorkel fins, correct fit is important to your comfort and enjoyment. it worked out great, we did not waste a second of our holiday. we did some research online for snorkling sites near to the ports and just jumped into a taxi