Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
mypugbuddy

Default HELP ship time/island time?

Are ship time and island time different? I just booked a stingray city tour and they informed me that they don't reconized daylight savings time, that they go by Eastern Standard Time. Does this differ from the time on the ship? Does the ship use Daylight savings time? I am confused.

I am to be picked up at 8:45 am EST. Help!!!

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: HELP ship time/island time?

If you look under "Ask cruisemates staff" someone started a post called port time. You should check there.

Old January 13th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Tammy

When we left port it was DST and the ship observed it for the entire cruise. Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya were 1 hour behind us and Belize was 2 hours behind us. Prior to leaving I called Carnival and was assured that the ship would be on whatever time it was in port (I was given this answer by two different people as I called twice) which didn't end up happening. I was alerted to it by reading these boards. If you're being picked at at 8:45 EST it will be 9:45 DST. I brought an extra watch with me which I set to local time and kept my watch on ship time to help us keep track.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:43 PM
mypugbuddy

So let me see if I understand this correctly.

When I get off the ship at 8:00am (the ships time) it will be 7:00am on Grand Cayman?
So I have lots of time to get to the meeting place if they want to meet me at 8:45 EST?

Tammy
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Passenger

I can answer this question for you. I explain this to people on a daily basis. It is true that Grand Cayman does not observe DST along with many other ports. During the winter months (until April 3) Grand Cayman is the same time as Florida. If you are visiting ports where there is a time difference... let's say Belize, and you're coming from Florida, it COULD be an hour earlier than your ship time. This depends on the line that you're traveling on. Carnival and Royal tend not to change their clocks. The best thing is to listen as their making announcements in the morning before you leave and then to ask what time it is to a local on shore. That way your safe.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
mypugbuddy

Thanks a million for explaining that to me. I was starting to get worried about not making it at the right time for my excursion.

Tammy
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:13 PM
DENISE H

always stay on ship time if you go by any other time you will miss the boat i hope this helps you
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
JennCandi

When we traveled on NCL they told us to change our watches the night before we went to Grand Cayman. We were always on island time until the last night of the cruise at sea, they told us to change it back.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
DENISE H

always stay on ship time