Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Kimberly Pelini

Default Cruise Excursions in Belize and Roatan

Could anyone recommend shore excursions in Belize and Roatan. We will be traveling with our three children ages 18, 16 and 11.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Excursions in Belize and Roatan

We did the baboon sanctuary tour in Belize. We saw several howler monkeys and their babies. It was also an eye-opener getting to the sanctuary as Belize is a very poor country. You really do need to do an excursion as there is not much else to see - but it is a very pretty spot. ttfn Jennifer
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

Im going to Belize and Im torn between the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha, which looks like an excellent site,( I've heard it's hot here and very sunny, you can climb the ruins if you like.) or going snorkling or snuba (which is like a combination of scuba and snorkle you breathe with an air hose.) Belize has one of the largest barrier reefs in the Northern hemisphere it should be great for seeing underwater creatures and colorful fish. Stick to the tours here and don't go it alone it's a poor part of the world. Good luck
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
cali-croozer

Wasn't impressed with the snorkeling in Belize........the reefs are in bad condition and the dive leader wouldn't let us snorkel over them so they wouldn't suffer more damage. We saw few fish, mostly sea fans and other vegetation. This was the Goff's Caye excursion. The excursion itself wasn't bad, but I really thought the snorkeling was going to be the best of our trip, but Cozumel (Chankanaab) and Grand Caymen (Eden's Rock) came in 1st and 2nd, followed by Belize, at a DISTANT 3rd.
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We did the cave tubing in Belize and had a blast. Can't help you with Roatan as we haen't been there (yet).

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Le Anne

We did the cave tubing in Belize and had a great time last Feb. We are trying the zip line this time in Feb since the guide we had on the cave tubing has moved to Jaguar Paw. We enjoyed her so much we decided we would give the zip line a try. In Roatan We are going to try Salt and Pepper snorkel trip this time. We read good reviews on it and are booking this independently. We just shopped last time but read the West end is great
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Adventurer

hey guys,

well i have been to Belize and the best place was the cave tubing that i went on it was so cool, we had loads of fun. My other mates went on the mayan tour which is just as good they said. My tour guide was wonderful, we had a great time. If you'd like to find out more you can email him at
***E-mail and website deleted as advertising...the email is almost the same as the posters which might cause one to think he is talking about himself!***
we had a blast. Hope things go as well for you and your family.
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Cali, maybe I should do Altun Ha instead of snorkle. As for cave tubing I've heard it's very cold water and at times dark, is this true? Any bats?
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM
cali-croozer

windycitykitty..................I would hate for you to base your decision on just my opinion, as I noticed nobody else commented on the snorkeling. But, if you are hitting the other ports and are snorkeling there, then I would say trying something different in Belize would be a good option. Good luck researching........
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes the cave tubing is dark and the only bats we saw were in some of the dry caves before getting to the river.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cali, Well I threw caution to the wind and booked Shark sting ray snorkle with Coral breeze in Belize since there are no other snorkle spots on my shore excursions, I be on land in Costa Rica and Panama or should I say on a boat and a canoe to see sloths and Indians. Carnival doesn't do this one anymore and I read many reviews on another web site devoted to shore excursions only, all but one review of this company was positive, and everyone who did this excursion seemed to speak very highly of it. I will post here to reccomend to others or not after my cruise. Wish me luck!
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM
cali-croozer

Have a great time.........everyone's experience is different. I am not a complainer and just go with the flow. After spending so much money on a vacation, I don't let little things ruin it. And, although, for us, the snorkeling wasn't as good as the other ports we visited, the excursion, as a whole, was good. I, too, have heard good things about the Shark/Sting Ray tour. Bring an underwater camera.

PS.......don't watch the movie Open Water before you go! -------just kidding!!!!
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:28 PM
windycity kitty

I saw open water and belive me I will be keeping a close eye on the boat ! Only 2 more days till I cruise! I will post a review of my cruise and shore excursions so keep an eye out after April 12th when I return. And yes I brought an underwater camera!