Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:09 PM
hope2cruise

Default "Ecological" sunscreen

Hello. I have read that several snorkling locations on the Mayan Riviera require "ecological" or "biodegradable" sunscreen in the water (because the regular stuff is apparently bad for the fish.) Does anyone know of any particular brand names, available in the States, that would fit the bill? I have seen "oil-free" sunscreen, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing, and I've yet to find any product specifically identified as ecological or biodegradable.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty
Default Re: "Ecological" sunscreen

This is true my sister just went to Rivera Maya Mexico she had to use special wipes to wipe off her sunscreen and buy theirs. I will ask her the name of it, she plans on giving it to me for my cruise as well in case I need it. If it's required don't worry they will sell it at the place you visit.
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:21 AM
jphc318

we looked everywhere last year in the states before going to cancun we ended up buying in mexico in a pharmacy most hotel lobbys have it and all eco parks sell them (a little more expensive)at the gates .the brand we found that basically everyone sells is hawaiin tropic bio degradable spf 30 you might try contacting them directly (the sunscrenn and directiions are all in spanish 0
good luck john
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Laurar914

We're leaving in 2 weeks and plan on going to X-Caret which requires the biodegradable sun protection. I found that Panama Jack carries a Guide and Outfitter line that is biodegradable. Online its $7 + $5 shipping, some stores may carry it too but I ended up finding something called Nature's Gate at a Natural Health store in town. It cost $8 and comes in different SPFs. This is also available online once I had the brand name. Good luck.
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Admiral

You can also use Bullfrog "adult" sunscreen (it comes in a silver bottle). It has no oil, goes on and dries quickly. It does have alcohol, so be careful using it near your eyes.

It's the only sunscreen I use because I HATE that greasy feeling from regular sunscreen.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Do these places have someone at the gate that checks each person and or bags for the correct sunscreen? Could they deny you entrance?
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:25 AM
reverendjeff

Xcaret sells this product at its shops. There is no way to check if a person is wearing it or not. It is up to your own conscience, do you want to help protect this place or not? It is not very expensive to buy at the gate and it seems to work well.