Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Walkie Talkies? Good to bring

We're going on our first cruise in April & doing a few excursions that we won't be together & get back at different times.

Would these be good to bring or is there a better way to find each other once we get back? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Walkie Talkies? Good to bring

We have taken them on 2 cruises and found that so many people had them, it was difficult to use them. We never knew who we were talking to. Sometimes they won't pickup if you're deep into the ship. The best use we found was in Nassau. I had to stay on the ship with a sick child and I could communicate with my husband almost all over the island.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We use ours all the time. We have 5 mile range ones with lots of sub-channels. If you decide to get them make sure you get the ones with subchannels so you have a better chance of not being on the same channel with someone else.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 21st, 2005, 03:21 PM
First Mate

We found ours invaluable. Like Darcy said, get one with subchannels. There were 3,000 guests on our cruise and we never had a problem with someone else on our channel/subchannel. There were 8 of us and I can't imagine how we could of managed without them.
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Bob N

Don't go with out them. If you are traveling just with your spouse , you can explore the ship while the other one sleeps, sunbathing, shopping on board, etc.....and still be able to fing each other at any time. If traveling with other couples make sure the have them as well so you can make arrangements on when and where to meet.

As said in other posts make sure the radio is at least a 5 mile range with sub-channels. We just returned from our 1st cruise and used them to stay in touch with a tablemate who we hit it off with. The radios came in handy ane we only had to change sub channel once. It is my guess people don't change the radios main channel and sub channels off the factory settings. Just set a main/sub channel further up the laddersuch as ch 9 sub ch 21 just an example.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM
linda g.

Walkie talkies are great not only on the ship but in stores while in port. My husband has gotten me out of certain stores when he felt that the sales people were getting a little too pushie. I just say that my husband is calling me and make a fast exit to the door!
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Laurie Qualls

I just bought some for our cruise in two weeks...I will keep one and give the other to 13 year old daughter...If i gave on to hubby it would accidently..????fall overboard..he likes to hide away somtimes...lol
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:25 PM
First Mate

I bought southwestern bell walkie talkies with many different channels, but found so many people on the cruise ship using them, that I couldn't communicate with my kid, because multiple conversations were always going on, on EVERY channel! I returned them when we got back and got a refund....not worth taking! Also, these are rented on the cruise ship, so when you add up all the folks bringing their own and those renting...you can imagine the traffic on those channels!
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:42 AM
rtfromky

took them didnt use them just met up for meals or you can leave a message in your cabin for your family you need ones with 5 miles raduis and a lot of freq cause a lot of people use them we had kids and didnt use them thought we would