Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Default Booking Excursions - before cruise or on cruise?

Hi everyone. First I would like to say that you all are ever so helpful!! I have gained so much knowledge reading these message boards and the articles for first time cruisers. I have already posted a few questions and received wonderful answers. Second, if I am asking an already asked question, I apologize! Thee are so many messages to read and so far I haven't seen any with my particular question.

My friend and I are cruising for the first time with NCL on a Western Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans the last week of April. We have 65 days of agonizing waiting left. Anyway, to get to the question. Should we book our excursions before the cruise or is it ok to book on the cruise? We haven't made up our minds yet. There are so many wonderful choices!

Another question. Can anyone give more details about 'door decorating'. It sounds like so much fun!!

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:35 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Booking Excursions - before cruise or on cruise?

Does NCL offer on-line booking? If so, and you really want to do a certain excursion, go ahead and book in advance. Many people book with private operators before they cruise, especially on popular excursions like swimming with the dolphins or sting ray tours. It all depends on what you want to do. You should narrow down your choices to 2 per port (plan A and plan B) and research if these are things you can easily do on your own or if you need to take a tour. Then you'll have a better idea of if you have to book now or not. Be sure to check out the cancellation policies for any tour that you book so there are no surprises.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Admiral

great advise from cali! If you find a ships excursion that you really want to do, then book it on-line in advance,if you can - one less thing to worry about, one less expense on your sign and sail card. If its a really popular tour it could sell-out. If you are booking your tours with an independant tour company then by all means you should book them in advance.
Tell us your ports of call and what your interest are and we can make some suggestions for you.
Old February 18th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Booking Excursions - before cruise or on cruise?

Sorry it took me so long to answer.

We are sailing out of New Orleans and going to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and last but not least, Cancun. We are so excited (I think I have said that in all of my msgs). We have already picked out a number of excursions, but it so so hard to make up our minds. We know that we can only do 1 per port, (maybe 2 if time allows). We don't like to dive or snorkel, so that cuts out a bunch. No Dolphin or other marine types to encounter. So far for Cozumel we have picked the Oceanview Explorer or the Atlantis Submarine. Then for Roatan, we have picked Gumbalimba Park, Hike and Beach Tour or Roatan Sightseeing & Beach. For Belize, its Altun Ha Mayan Ruins, Xunantunich, Inland Blue Hole, or Wildlife Adventure , then for cancun there is Cancun Highlights & shopping, Glass bottom Nautibus, Garrafon Reef Park or Tulum Mayan Ruins.

See what I mean about choices? Has anyone been on any of these? What is your recommendations.

I am being so so silly. I have already packed 3 times and the cruise is 62 days away! Lol!
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Jo Witte

In order not to "miss" your excursion, you should book BEFORE you get on the ship. My experience is "if you snooze, you lose". We missed out on our first cruise and after that, booked in advance. With so many passengers on the ship, your chance of getting just what you want is not certain.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Jo Witte

Default Looking for Cruisemates

Is anyone taking the 12 day Grand Princess out of Rome on September 23?
Old February 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Colin

Greetings from a warm and sunny Belize;
Anyone going on cruises to Belize and want to book cruise excursions in Belize can visit the website www.royalmayanadventures.bz to learn more about the fun and interesting activities to be enjoyed while in Belize.

I thank you
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Booking Excursions - before cruise or on cruise?

Hi, I did the Atlantis Submarine tour in Hawaii last November and it was incredible. I suspect all of them would be similar just in different locations. I am not a swimmer and tried snorkeling while I was in Cuba. While I loved what I could see my fear of being under water (even shallow) was the winner. Going in the Submarine gave me the same visual without the fear of water getting in the way.

I was able to get some wonderful pictures as well - even one of this huge fish up against the porthole where it looks like its giving us a kiss. lol

I am in a similar situation to you - going on a first cruise but not until October so a longer wait; but we were debating the same question as to whether to book before or not. Looks like it might be better to book before but I think I'll wait for awhile.
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Passenger

On some of our previous cruises our first choice was sold out when trying to book them on board. I don't know if booking ahead of time was even available then. I do agree with what was said earlier, "if you snooze, you loose".

Carnival Holiday '90
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM
rtfromky

book on your own we just came off the royal carr during spring break to cozumel grand cayman and had no problems doing all our excursions on our own