Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:49 PM
MaryT

Default Tour with Nacho in Belize!

Altun Ha and Babbon Sanctuary with Nacho!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just got off Splendour 2/26 and had a fantastic day in Belize, We were met by Nacho right at the pier and he directed us to his minivan. There were 6 of us, 4 adults and 2 teenagers and we were excited! It was a breezy day in Belize and we rolled down the windows and took off for our tour. Nacho drove us through many parts of Belize City and gave us a history of the many sights and historic places, He and his wife live there and are both from there so they are very knowledgeable, and very nice! We arrrived at Altun Ha about 45-55 minutes later
and were given a "private" tour of the grounds not with 50 or so people but just us, it made it a excellent experience. We took many photos and then off to the Baboon Sanctuary, this is a very simple place and you should NOT expect to be arriving in a zoo in a big metropolis. This sanctuary is located in farmers backyards which just happen to be the rainforest, you will see very poor people and learn how they live but most importantly you will see an up close and personal experience with a troop of black howler monkeys that range in age from 1 year to 19 years. You will get to feed them leaves and even get to hear them howl, This made me cry as it was a moving experience that I will never forget.TOTALLY AWESOME!!! This was my favorite part of the entire 7 day cruise. Nacho will drive you to the Sanctuary but is not allowed to be your guide, you will get someone who is very highly educated and works in this Sanctuary. We were lucky enough to have a man (young) named Shane, he was born in Belize but lived in the Bronx to go to school and now lives in Belize with his parents. Shane is very well spoken and by the time our tour was over we wanted him to come home with us and send him off to college where he dreams of going, Syracuse University. He said he felt like part of our family and we will keep in touch with him.
After our sad goodbyes we headed back to Belize City for some quick shopping and some tours of the neighborhoods with Nacho, he did not have to do this but did and it made our day complete.

Belize is not the richest country but the people make it rich, they have hearts like gold, they are very respectful and caring. Dont listen to those peolpe that tell you to stay on the ship this day in port, you will miss out on a very cultural experience.
You can reach Nacho and Cynthia at www.ncqadventuretours.com
There prices are reasonable and he will bring water and stop for lunch if you want to, Nacho will also entertain you with many riddles and Belizian trivia!
We will use him every time we visit Belize!
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tour with Nacho in Belize!

Mary, thanks so much for posting this mini review. Belize is the stop we are most looking forward too and haven't yet nailed down our plans for an excursion. I will most certainly be visiting their website.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:46 AM
MaryT

If you need any help or have more questions let me know!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:44 PM
Lenore

Mary, we also returned from a cruise the same day you did and booked our day in Belize to go cave tubing with Nacho/cynthia. Cynthia met us at the port terminal and apologized that Nacho couldn't be there, he had a tour to Altun Ha. Ah ha, it was you!!

I can't put my finger on it but it too was my favorite day of the cruise. We also went deep sea fishing in Cozumel, and horseback riding in Roatan so there was some hefty competition for "Favorite" day.

Anyone interested in cave tubing or Altun Ha, do not fear to go with Nacho/Cynthia, and save about $20.00 per person over our ships tour rate.

Lenore
Old March 6th, 2005, 06:53 PM
para

Default Re: Re: Tour with Nacho in Belize!

how was the fishing? my husband wants to try this.thanks
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
MaryT

So you were the people that Cynthia was meeting!! I am not sure on the fishing...you could contact Nacho and ask.
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Lenore

Default Re: Re: Re: Tour with Nacho in Belize!

I booked our fishing trip through Albatros Charters. They gave me exact directions on how to find them when we got off the boat, and away we went through miles of the the most georgeous water colors you'll ever see.

Capt. Pedro and the crew were attentive and professional. We caught 1 baracuda and 2 rainbow fish. (They look similar to yellow fin) It was the captains birthday so he made us cevichi with the baracuda on fresh quesadillas. To die for. The actual catch was low but then the best time to go is April-May.

We were mistakenly brought back to shore a few hours early as we booked a 6 hour charter for $500. I mentioned this to them in an E-mail after we got back and have a standing offer for 2 extra hours next time. We took 6 people, and for the $ was a great day. If you haven't ever been fishing in the carib, GO.

You can find them by just google- fishing cozumel.