Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default Hair Braiding on excursions

My long-haired daughter wants to get her hair braided on our upcoming cruise. (1st timer). We were wondering if anyone knows the cost, either onboard or on any of the island excursions? Her hair is quite long, and tends to get curly and frizzy in the heat so she wants it "out of the way"! Do they charge by head, by braid, by style?

donna

Old February 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Hair Braiding on excursions

Donna

They do it both by the head and by the braid. If I were going to do it, I would have it done on the ship in the salon. While it's more expensive, I know someone that got head lice in the islands and she attributed it to having her hair braided. They use the same comb on everyone. JMO.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
Heather T

I have been on 6 cruises and never heard of anyone getting head lice but hey, I'm sure it's a possibility. It's a lot cheaper on the islands to get it done and plus it makes a "good story". Definitely barter w/ them about the price... most of the time they charge by the braid but if she wants her whole head done you might be able to get a better price. Just don't take their first price.... talk them down! That's half the fun anyway! Have a good time!
~Heather
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Hair Braiding on excursions

And take your own comb for them to use!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

you will find the hair braiders just about everywhere, on the beach in the marketplace.
The locals are pretty fast and the prices are resonable, some charge per strand, per bead, whole head, make sure you get it clear before you start. It will take quite awhile to have a whole head done, plan at least an hour. As the others mentioned, bring your own comb.
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Carmen B

I get my hair braided by my own hair dresser at home and not on the islands.
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Hair Braiding on excursions

We recently had it done in Nassau at the hairbraiding centre. We took our own comb. Her price list was $70, but we got it for $40. They are very flexible with price and we found they just wanted to make the sale. $40 was for braids for just the front to middle section of the head.

Milly
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:27 PM
First Mate

You can bargain with the braiders and you will find them everywhere you go, even on the beaches. Cost anywhere from $25.00 - $30.00 for all/long hair. Caution....I have two daughters and they each got braids at different places and times (one at a nice mall in Cancun and the other in an outdoor "salon" (can't remember where but in the tropics). Both times...it was a bad decision.

One daughter (about 10 at the time) started having extreme itching within hours and by the next morning, she had scabs in between braids in many places. It tooks us a very long time to undo a full head of long hair and her head hurt for days!

The other daughters head hurt because the braids were so tight...she only left them in for about 24 hours.
Old April 9th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Patti and Dave

Hi,
I am a hairstylist. If I were on your cruise I would do them for free. Just for the sake of your child not getting head lice. I have been to the islands and saw many girls/women getting them done. It gave me the creeps, too know that the comb was not in barbicide sanitizer. If you decide to let your daughter get them, make sure you not only bring your own comb but I would bring your own small tiny rubber bands, and any jewels that she wants in her hair. That way you know that they were not used on anyone else. Also, don't get them done if they con you into going down some alley way. They probaly aren't allowed to do them, if they are hiding. I would also bring a hand sanitizer of some sort and ask the person kindly if they wouldn't mind using it. I don't think they wash their hands after each person. Just something to think about. Also, sometimes they want to stick some type of gel in the hair, it helps to hold the braids in better. You should bring your own, as who knows where it came from and how old it is. And also when you go to take them out, you might lose alot of hair. When your hair is being pulled back in tight braids, it tends to break the bond of the hair, causing the hair to fall out. When you take them out, don't pull on them, undo the braid slowly, this will prevent the hair from breaking also. Use lots and lots of conditioner. Oh yeah, this may sound crazy, but put some type of sunblock in between the braids. Otherwise you will get a bad sunburn on your scalp, and when you scalp peels, it's like having bad dandruff. Anyways, if you decide to let her get them, Take these precautions and you should be okay. Bargain, Bargain, and Bargain some more. You should not pay any more than $25. If you do, you are crazy. Remember these people probaly are not licensed hairstylists.....Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:16 AM
rtfromky

get it done at home because the island ones dont last long and cost more not sure about cost on boat but sure it would be expensive my 45 min massage was 164.00 vs 75 at home if you do do it on the boat you get discounts on days that the boat in in port or docked at one of the island