Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Default From Seaport to Beach Grand Caymen

What is the least expensive way to get from the seaport in Grand Caymen (where the cruise ships dock) to the beach?

Is there a decent beach walking distance from the Grand Caymen seaport?

Is there any public transportation i.e. buses to get from the Grand Caymen seaport to the beach, if so where and how much does it cost.
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2005, 01:26 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: From Seaport to Beach Grand Caymen

No beaches within walking distance but there are buses in Grand Cayman, though they might cost you just about as much as a taxi (I think I remember somebody saying the buses are about $2.50 per ride). I do not have prices for either though, as we just snorkled and shopped by the port. Try a "google" search for Grand Cayman tourist information and I'll be you can find out more.
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Re: From Seaport to Beach Grand Caymen

Do the buses go go the port. I saw something that said buses were 1.25CL. Do the buses take US money and if so how much is 1.25CL= in US$. I might just end up going to the snorkeling place you mentioned in the other post. Could you tell me a little more about it.
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can also just get a cab to a beach, the driver will know exactly where to take you. Some of the local hotels welcome cruise passengers for the day and the driver will know what hotels, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:35 PM
cali-croozer

Regarding snorkeling right at the port: it's called Eden Rock. When you are on the tender, look to your right. You will see a dive shop (look for the dive flag). That's where you want to walk to. They rent lockers and snorkeling gear (we rented fins only; brought the rest). There is also a map of the snorkeling area and the employees are very friendly. There is no beach here; just a ladder down into the water and you're off snorkeling. We saw a stingray and lots of smaller fish.

I know we paid in US dollars, but don't remember how much (for the fin rentals).
They do have a website (search Eden Rock, Grand Cayman)
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM

Since posting this Ive been told there are several Beaches walking distance from the Seaport including 7 mile beach which Ive been told is one mile away and Devil's Grotto, Smith Cove, and Cali North which Ive been told are less than a mile away.

Are you saying these beaches are more than a mile away or that a mile is not considered walking distance?

Also does anyone out there know anything about how pretty these beaches are?
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:08 PM
cali-croozer

Sorry reply, I didn't realize as everyone seems to just get in a taxi and you really don't see any beaches from the ship. If they are truly 1 mile away, then it's up to you. I guess weather and how much you are carrying would also factor in.
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:24 AM
divadiverfl

If you want to go to the beach ask a cabbie to take you to 7 mile beach. we stay there every year at the Platation Village Condos and also go on cruises there. YOu can not walk to the that beach. This is the public beach. Other places if you want to snorkel and nothing else-yes Eden Rock is to you right as soon as you get onto the pier.

There are some hotels that allow you to play on their beach--keep in mind that even before hurricane Ivan the beaches around the hotels had washed away from other storms. I know we were there 2 days before Ivan hit. Plenty of sand and beach on the 7 mile public beach. Worth the cab ride. Their so called "Buses" are really vans. They also make sure they are filled before leaving. I don't know the price because we always rent a car no matter what.
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:47 AM
glojo

My hubby and I have been to Grand Cayman three times, once on a dcruise day stop, and the other 2 occasions we stayed there 1 week each time. I feel I know the island very well, but Ivan the Terrible may have changed that. The best beach on the island is Rum Point, you can catch a ferry from the Hyatt to go there. Taxi ride may be a bit expensive. Better to rent a car and try to split this amoung 4 people. You could drive around the island, which only takes about 1 hour 15 minutes one way, and there is a short cut if necessary. The road used to be fantastic, but not sure how the hurricane left them as of late. Sting Ray City is a must! I've been there twice and I would go every time, its a hoot. Have fun!
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:19 PM
PIJ

Have been to Grand Cayman on 9 different cruises. Have also stayed there on numerous occasions. Day travelers off the ship can go by cab to the Reef at the Royal Palms. You can use their chairs and the food is great. It is right on Seven Mile Beach. DO NOT go to what was the Hyatt. All ships seem to bring passengers there and it is right next to public beach so gets extremely crowded. Grand Cayman can be an absolute nightmare when there are many ships in town so HAVE PATIENCE especially when getting a cab. Fares are set so you will not be ripped off by cabbies but you may have to ride with other people going to different locations.
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:02 AM

I was told it was one mile from the seaport where the cruise ships dock to the start of 7 mile beach. Is that accurate? If it is one mile that would seem to be walking distance. Why do people say it is not walking distance? Is the start of 7 mile beach more than a mile from the seaport where the cruise ships dock? What is the beach like at the start of 7 mile beach?

I wont need food since I'll get food on the ship. I wont need a chaise lounger since I'll have a beach towel from the ship.

I'm only going to have 7 hours in port but talke off at least 3 hours for getting off the ship and then making sure I get back in time. That leaves only 4 hours, so I wont be able to go very far. I was hoping to go to a pretty beach for a few hours but dont want to spend money for a taxi.

Ive heard that Eden Rock is not pretty and has no beach, that you climb down a ladder and go into water that is not turquise, is that accurate?
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Passenger

My husband & I are going RCCL/Navigator on 9-17-05. We've been trying to research the beaches as well. I purchased Frommer's Caribean Ports of Call book at Borders (Atlanta) for $16. It's got great information on everything from beaches/excursions/going out on your own, etc. It indicates that 7 Mile Beach begins north of George Town and is "an easy taxi ride from the cruise dock and has sparkling white sands". However, as I've read thru MANY reviews, comments of other cruisers, I've also heard that 7 Mile gets crowded due to it being so close so port. I've heard multiple cruisers (including someone above) speaking of Rum Point. It's on the North tip of the island and very near where Stingray City is. At someone's site I saw pictures and even though there are fewer palms now (due to Ivan), it was still beautiful.
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, its true Rum Point is beautiful, clear, calm waters and nice beach. You have to take a boat to get there and on the way, you'll go by Sting Ray City....its a way to spend a day.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

yes, the start of 7 mile-beach is about a mile from the pier, but the access to the beach is 2 miles from the pier at least. Cab would be your best bet. Haven't been to Rum Point but have heard that it is beautiful.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM
rudy

We had the best excursion in Grand Cayman in March 2005 (RCCL NAVIGATOR) booked thru Nativeway sports. We snorkled, spent a relaxing afternoon with lunch inclueded at Rum Point Beach ( awesome) and swam with the stringrays. We were very pleased with the trip and the guides and felt it was one of the highlights of our vacation. Our family of 4 (teenagers 16 & 15) still rave about the day so you know it was a hit. My niece & new husband took our advice and booked on their honeymoon in June and were thrilled also. Less expensive, less crowded ( small group of about 15 ) than the cruise excursion and well worth it.