Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Passenger

Default St Thomas to St John

Hi. I am going to be making a stop in St Thomas, which I have been to many times. I was wondering though, is there a ferry you can get to go to St John's? I have never been there and don't want to do the ships tour to get there since it is overpriced. Is there a way to get there yourself? If so, anyone have any idea how much it would cost?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: St Thomas to St John

I'm not sure what the total cost is, but it should be a lot less than doing a ship excursion there. Yes, you'll need to get a cab to Red Hook ferry and then once at St. John, another short cab ride to the beach. St. John is a beautiful island, worth taking the time to see.

Here is the ferry schedule:

Red Hook Ferry Schedule

The cost of the ferry is $3.00 each way and I believe there is a $4.00 cost to get into Trunk bay. So, just the cost of the cabs.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Becky5830

We took the ferry out of Red Hook to St. John a few weeks ago. We hired a taxi from the pier to Red Hook for $6 a person -- about a 20 minute drive. We chose to leave from Red Hook because the ferry ride is only 20 minutes vs. a 45 minute ferry ride from Charlotte Amalia (sp?) Do make sure you get the times for the return ferry. We thought it was hourly, but when we got onto St. John we saw it posted as every two hours during the middle of the day, so we did have to change our plans on the island. So my advice is just to check the departing ferry times as soon as you get to St. John. Getting a taxi at the pier, St. John and Trunk Bay and Red Hook was very easy. They are sitting their waiting for customers. Have fun and go snorkeling at Trunk Bay!
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:06 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St Thomas to St John

Thanks!! I can't wait. Just hope to have enough time to do some shopping at St Thomas that day as well. can't pass up the jewelry prices!!!!
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM
Becky5830

We took the 1:00 ferry back from St. John just so we could go shopping. Did most of it down by the pier and bought two beautiful rings -- one at Cardow's and another at Boulchands. (I got a great one in St. Martin too) We would've had enough time to go downtown but my mom was tired and one of my sisters had a bad cold, so we just stayed by the pier. Happy Jewelry shopping!
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:00 AM
Admiral

you grab a cab at the pier it cost us $8 per person, they take you to Red Hook Harbor, (20 minute ride) where you buy a ROUND-Trip ferry ticket for $3 per person(30 minute trip) once you dock at Cruz Bay, grab an open-air taxi for $5 per person to take you to any of the beaches - Trunk Bay & Cinnamon Bay were about a 15 minute ride. Check the ferry time schedul i recall it being every hour on the hour. Go to the beach in the morning. We you get back to Red Hook Harbor, grab a local open-air taxi (outside the gate) for $1 per person, its like a bus, makes a couple of stops, just make sure your driver knows you want to go to Havensight Mall. Its takes a little bit longer, not much depending upon how many stops he makes, and its a good savings. If you want to go back to the ship to drop off your stuff, grab a bite to eat, whatever, then head out to Havensight Mall to shop, shop, shop.
For beach & ferry info go to this site- www.vinow.com
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St Thomas to St John

Thank you everyone!!!