CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shore Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/)
-   -   How easy to get shore excursions...on shore? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/299705-how-easy-get-shore-excursions-shore.html)

Wade Palmer April 6th, 2005 06:29 PM

How easy to get shore excursions...on shore?

Hi!,
I'm booked on the Mariner of the Seas; RCCL, May 8th-15th, Western Caribbean.

I'm with a 12 person group and we're looking to save some $$$$ by possibly arranging all of our shore excursions AFTER gettin off the boat. I know this presents a certain amount of time risk, but isn't it possible to just find a 3rd party tour operator at any of the main ports (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)? Or if it's a land destination, just grab a taxi and say..."Take me to _____". Won't we save a lot of money by setting it up ourselves? Aren't there just a ton of people ready and willing to take you to any tour site?
We are a young, active group, some speak spanish...

We like snorkeling, we have our own gear and want to save money. Can't we just find a great snorkeling site on our own and/or through a 3rd party shore guide without going through RCCL.

We plan to do the most popular items:

Jamaica:
Dunn River Falls,
Snorkeling
Beach
Canopy Tour

Grand Cayman:
Sting Ray City
Snorkeling

Cozumel:
Free Beach: Nachi
Snorkel from Shore
Parasailing.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

cali-croozer April 6th, 2005 09:52 PM

Re: How easy to get shore excursions...on shore?

I have read that you can only book the canopy tour in Jamaica through the ship; they are not taking independent reservations.

Grand Cayman.......unless there are a lot of ships in port at the same time, there should be tour operators at the tender dock

Cozumel.........easy to do on your own with a little research. If you want to visit 2-3 places, compare the price of taxis to the price of a car rental.

Darcy April 7th, 2005 05:50 AM

Wade:

For Grand Cayman I book ahead of time with either Sotos Cruises, Captain Marvins or Nativeways. All three have had great reviews on this board. I booked with Sotos Cruises last year and it was $24/pp. There were about 14 of us on the boat and we had a blast.

Cozumel: I would go to Chankanaab Park. They have some very good snorkeling right from the shore as it is rocky. A lot of the other beaches are too sandy. You can just grab a cab right from the pier. A cab should run about $10 each way and park admission is $12/pp.

Hope this helps.

Darcy

Wade Palmer April 7th, 2005 12:11 PM

Thanks for the input guys!!

rtfromky April 13th, 2005 10:23 AM

just back from cozumel and grand caymen do excursions own your own you save money and there are numerous cabs everywhere cost 2-3 dollars per person but we bargined fro 15 one way for 6 people the chankanaab park was great snorkeling shopping, sea lion and dolphin encounter or swim with them. if some boats cant make it in because of the weather you can really bargain on cab fares our rcl boat was the only one that made it into costa maya for the day and we spent money like it was water