Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Christie Freas

Default Grand Cayman on your own?

I would love to hear from people who have done the Grand Cayman on their own. I don't want to book excursions at every port and the Caymans look like the best place to rent a jeep and explore ourselves - does anyone have any feelings in regards to this? Any must see places or really great resturants?
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Grand Cayman on your own?

Christie - If you want to swim and interact with the Sting Rays on Grand Caymen which i highly recommend - its quite the experience, you need to book an independant tour.
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:20 PM
glojo

Sting Ray City is a must. The best thing about this island is the water. If you do rent a car, you drive on the left, sometimes you may get a car with a right hand side steering wheel, so ask for left. I only takes about a 1 1/2 hours to drive from one end of the island to the other. To me Seven Mile Beach isn't that great...I prefer Rum Point. Of course that was before the hurricane, alot of the trees are now gone. I know for a fact that they bring sand from Turks Caicos for Seven Mile Beach. We've stayed there twice for a week each time. But I will tell you this...I will go to Sting Ray City every time I'm there.
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Cora Baxter

Is it easy to navigate on your own if you rent a car?Sting ray city sounds like fun from your review.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Cora - Sting Ray City/Sandbar is a blast. You can only get there by boat, you need to book an independant tour. You stand in the water on the Sandbar, its about waist deep, and the rays swim all around you, you can pet them or feed them if you wish. When they brush up against you it feels like a tickle from a feather. These creatures are amazing, some are huge, its like they fly thru the water.
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Grand Cayman on your own?

Can you recommend any independent tour company for the sting ray excursion? we were told not to do it from the cruise line. Thanks
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

can you recommend any indep. tour co. we were told not to book excursions through the cruise line. Thanks
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Cyndi - we used Captain Marvin. There are quite a few reputable tour companies to choose from, just do a google search under Sting Ray tours - Grand Caymen Island and see what pops up.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM
rudy

We had the best excursion in Grand Cayman in March 2005 (RCCL NAVIGATOR) booked thru Nativeway sports. We snorkled, spent a relaxing afternoon with lunch inclueded at Rum Point Beach ( awesome) and swam with the stringrays. We were very pleased with the trip and the guides and felt it was one of the highlights of our vacation. Our family of 4 (teenagers 16 & 15) still rave about the day so you know it was a hit. My niece & new husband took our advice and booked on their honeymoon in June and were thrilled also. Less expensive, less crowded ( small group of about 15 ) than the cruise excursion and well worth it.
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM
NCostea

Was there a website you went to for booking this excursion? If so, can you provide it?
Thanks
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Irma

Can you provide website for this excursion. We also have teens in our family. Thanks
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:15 PM
cali-croozer

Irma and NCostea...........if you "google" Nativeway sports, you should be able to find their website.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
TornadoTom

We are considering something simular. It is a Jeep tour that goes to some of the places we'd like to visit. I'm not comfortable driving around on my own but I like the idea of having a new jeep for our family and then following a guide.

The jeep tour goes to the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory then to Pedros Cliff and also to Rum Point Beach. I think we will all find something we like on this trip.

This trip is on Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions
Old September 5th, 2005, 08:29 PM
missy123

another vote for swimming with the stingrays (and as a side note, we DID book thru our cruise line and it was GREAT!)
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Passenger

We had a nightmare taking the tour the cruiseline used at Grand Cayman. First, the busses were so trashy and not air conditioned as they say. They were old, smelly, unreliable P.O.S. busses. Our bus actually broke down and delayed the return trip more than a hour and meant no shopping time on the island at all!

When you get off the pier, there are many companies standing around with signs advertising the same tour and even more than the cruise offers.

I would highly recommend doing an independent tour with one of those guys instead of with the cruise because we paid double what others charged to do the stingrays!