Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:28 AM
StaceySch

Default Isla Roatan

Have been researchinf Isla Roatan and can't find much on it. I usually book my own excursions not through the ship but I haven't found any information. Do you have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Isla Roatan

I'm totally stumped on this myself. Will be there in a month on NCL Sea. I've no idea what I'll do in Roatan. Will play it by ear and if all else fails....will stay on the ship and make use of the "private pool" that is usually so packed you can't get near it, much less in it.

I've gone to the book store to look up info on this island in both Fodors and Frommers travel guide books...both recommend taking a taxi to the "west end" or "west bay" for good beaches, but warn to take bug spray (looking for a combo bug repellent/sunscreen). Like I said, if it's not attractive when I get there...it's back to the ship for the day.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:07 AM
First Mate

We were there about a year ago - may have changed since then. We book the west end island tour through carnival - I don't recommend it - very boring. Friends of ours got off the ship and hired an English speaking driver (from the many, many that will be waiting at the gate) and he became their tour guide for the day. He showed them the island, stopped at beaches and at a restaurant so they could have lunch. They had a wonderful day and highly recommended it. If I was ever to go there again, I would probably do that.
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:38 PM
sparky2005

went in March and Roatan is beautiful! we did the canopy tour and Tabyana beach. It was great! We booked through the ship. I can't wait to return there!
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Bo

It's a really underdeveloped area and I suggest you book through the ship. We spent the day at Tabayana Beach and really enjoyed it. Lots of sand and sun ---perfect way and enjoy vacation.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:54 PM
rosetattoo

I agree with Bo....Tabyana Beach was awesome!! Very large beach area with beautiful palm trees, soft clean sand, lounge chairs, clean spectacular water (you can swim out to the reef to see some amazing fish), buffet, bar, live music, massages on the beach!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
R Donnachie

Default Re: Re: Isla Roatan

I am so happy to finally find someone who has done the Canopy Tour at Tabyana Beach. Can you please tell me of your experience? My daughter (12yrs) and I will be there on July 13. Is it safe for kids. How strenuous is it, etc? Thanks for any info you can share.
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:34 PM
Shirley25

Default Re: Re: Re: Isla Roatan

The canopy tour is not strenuous at all and it is quite safe. After the first zipline, you will be a pro. Your daughter will love it! It took us about an hour to get through all the ziplines. Please email me if you have any questions.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
teach

I was just in Roatan last week. My friends did the zip line and loved it. I stayed on the beach at Tabayana. I was not nearly as impressed as what I thought I would be. Several from the ship rented a tour guide for the day. This guy took them around the whole island, took them snorkeling in a private area, etc.. They had a blast and it was really inexpensive- I think he said including tip it was about $100..and he tipped him about $50.00. So, the zip line is great, but I might try another beach option next time. Roatan is a very poverty stricken area, so don't be shocked at what you see when you first start going around town. It's a third world country and that' s the sites that you will encounter.

Enjoy your cruise. We had a blast! Bring bugspray for Roatan!!!!