Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Default Cozumel Excursion

What excursion would be best for a family w/ 2 teenagers, and a 7 year old? Has anybody had any experience with ATV, Dune Buggys, through a Jungle i Cozumel? Who did you book with? Our ports of call are Belize, Progress, and Cozumel.
Thanks
Penny

Post Edited (05-31-05 19:08)
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cozumel Excursion

what are your ports of call please.
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:51 PM
dog-house@rogers.com

We enjoyed Chankanaab park from cozumel. taxi prices are posted.
In Belize i think your whole family would really enjoy cave tubing. i have been twice with Xtreme cave tubing, absolutely wonderful experience! The lunch ($5 extra) is well worth it. If you want more details, i'd be glad to provide
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Cozumel Excursion

Definietely would do cave tubing in Belize. And the lunch for 5.00 is the best I have ever had on an excursion. Chicken is great!! Enjoy
Old July 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Passenger

My sister went to Cozumel about 7 months ago (with a girl friend). They did the RCCL Dune Buggy/beach tour and weren't real happy. You ride 4 to a vehicle-which is a straight shift. My sister really wanted to drive (she said you can trade out drivers) but she can't drive a stick. They ended up riding with another couple. The problem was it rained the entire time they were driving along in the open-air. The tour evidentally took them thru some pretty rural areas which gave a true feel to the islands living conditions, etc. Then they went to a place (which she said had bars on the windows) to eat and spend some time on the beach. The beach had dead fish on it and a toilet sitting out in the middle of the beach. She wasn't too impressed. Some one else mentioned the Chankanaab Park. I've read TONS of reviews that mentioned this park and that the beach and snorkeling were good here. We're headed to Cozumel on RCCL /Navigator-9-17-05 and plan on heading there. There's an off-shore reef good for snorkeling.
I purchased Frommer's Carribean Ports of Call book at Borders and it lists the park as a great spot to visit. Hope this helps!
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Went to Chankanuba (sp?) park in Cozumel. Prior to our departure, we had booked a dolphin dive through dolphindiscovery.com. It was a fantastic experience. You don't need to be very physically active to do it. You put on life jackets, hang out on platforms and much of the time the dolphins come to you. You shake hands, kiss, and then in teams of 2 you can get into the water and (1) they will pull you (aka as the dorsal tow) or (2) they will push you up to standing position on the water (not sure what the professional term is called, but we refer to it as "supermaning" in our house). It was the 2nd best excursion I've been on - with the 1st being a stingray swim in Antigua. You can book your reservation right online and then just get a cab from the port to the park. I think it was $10 when we were there last August (one way). FYI - what I described that we did with this tour was called the royal swim. It was cheaper booking it on our own vs. going through the shore excursion desk.

Also - you can simply enter the Chankanuba park. I think the admission charge was about $12 per adult. You get access to the park, can watch the dolphin swims others are doing, and enjoy the beach. We thought it was one of the nicest beaches we went to in all of the Caribbean. (Facility wise).

While you're in Cozumel, make sure you get a margarita from the restraurant in the port. As you walk toward the taxi stands (taxi stand being in front of you it's located on the left - it can also be accessed through a large silver jewlery store). Fabulous quesidallas that I still crave, too!

Good luck!
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Cantwaitformycruise211

i definetly reccomend the dolphin experience if there is one (usually in cozumel)
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

For Belize definitely to the Cave Tubing. We had a blast.

In Cozumel there are lots of things to do, it all depends on what you enjoy. We went to Chankanaab Park last year and had a great time. We did the Sea Lion Swim and the Sea Trek Helmet Dive there. In April 2005 we just went into town, did some shopping, walked around, had a drink and went back to the ship. Next week we are going snorkeling. Take a look at cozumelinsider.com. They offer a lot of different excursions at various prices. Sherri answers her emails promptly and they are great to deal with. I booked an excursion with them last year and was so happy with them I booked my snorkeling trip through them.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Channunkaab National Park is always a good choice for a family day. Lots to do and see, nice beach with good snorkeling.
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Stacy Miller

We just got back from our cruise two days ago and while in Cozumel we did the Dune Buggy/snorkel/beach excursion. I had the best time. The dune buggy's are 4 to a car, which was perfect because there were four of us that wanted to go. They did tell us on the ship when we booked the excursion that the car was an automatic, but it was a standard 4 speed and kind of cramped to drive for my cousin who is quite tall, but he took it in stride and we had a blast. The snorkeling would have been better had we not be swimming against the very strong current. It was very interesting to see the heart of the town and see how other cultures live. They took us to a beach that had umbrellas set up on it for us and two blankets under each one for us. They had a buffet on the beach for us and had roped off a great swimming area. We played volleyball on the beach with the tour guides and they even gave us an extra hour to hang out. One word of caution...they take you by a "store" called the Pee Pee Station...i swear they only open this up for the 10 minutes we are there...serious tourist trap...bought a shot glass there for $7! Good grief!

I really enjoyed this excursion out of all the ports we went to...although if the weather hadn't been so beautiful I guess I would feel differently!

Enjoy your trip!