Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Default St. Thomas excursions

I am traveling alone (I am 45) in July. My ship will stop at St. Thomas and I would like to go to a beach in St. John. I am not particular excited about any of the shore excursions combinations offered by Princess (at least for St. Thomas). I would like to take a water taxi to St. John, go to a nice beach (I just want to enjoy the sun as I don't snorkle), and come back earlier afternoon to do some shopping in St.Thomas. Can someone advise me what is the best beach to go in St. John for sunbathing and if it is safe for a woman to go alone? Also, what should I expect to pay for the water taxi (or ferry) and for a cab to the beach.

This is my first cruise and I would appreciate some help.

Eliane

Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:47 AM
rosetattoo

Default Re: St. Thomas excursions

We have always booked a shore excursion thru the cruise line to Trunk Bay in St. John, beautiful beach and very safe, snack bar and showers/rest rooms available....price includes ferry to St. John, and round-trip transportation to beach.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:54 AM
First Mate

Trunk Bay is definitely the beach to go to. It is the most beautiful beach we have ever seen. We took a taxi to the ferry after a little shopping in St Thomas. Sorry I do not remember prices but I remember it was reasonable. I believe at Trunk Bay we were charged a fee also. It may be just as reasonable to take an excursion if you can still have time to do your shopping.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Thank you for the information. I will book the tour to st. John

Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Elaine - if you feel the need to book a tour over to St.John i would look into an independant tour company over the cruise line. You do not get nearly enough time on this beautiful island and beach if you book with the cruise line. Getting to St. John is really easy, you grab a cab at the pier,- there are people there who will get you into the right van - they don't leave until they are full, the van will take you to Red Hook Harbor (about 20 minute ride) your purchase your round-trip ferry ticket at the pier, get onto the water taxi - they leave every hour on the hour, you cruise over to St. John Island - takes about 30 minutes - very pretty ride, once you dock at Cruz Bay there are lots of open air jitney taxis that take you to whichever beach you want , the ride to the beach is half the fun, the roads are very windy, but also very beautiful, there is one scenic overlook that will take your breath away. Average ride time to Trunk Bay is about 15 minutes. Budget your time and you will be fine - try this site full of useful info www.vinow.com.
Trunk Bay is gorgeous but it is basically a cruise ship mecca, its gets very crowded very early and is a bit of a tourist trap. Lots of other beaches , we really like Cinnamon.
Go to the beach in the morning, head back to the ship, grab some lunch, drop off your beach stuff, then head out to shop either at Havensight Mall or grab a taxi into downtown Charlotte-Amalie.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Admiral

If you want to save some money, taxi time and ferry time, go to Saphire Bay for the beach. I personally think it is a nicer beach than Trunk Bay, it is just past Red Hook on St Thomas. While the others are loading onto the ferry, you will be sitting on the beach watching the ferry pull away. Saphire has rentals, food, drink, "facilities" etc in a beautiful quiet and VERY SAFE, setting. Cab fare from Havensight pier is $6 or $7 per person and from Sub Base pier is $8 per person. Fare from Saphire to Downtown Charlotte Amoile for shopping is $8.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: St. Thomas excursions

Someone told me to go to sunnylistontours.com. For 20.00 you do a little shopping, sight seeing and also to the beach for a couple of hours. Everyone says he is great and he picks you up at your boat and drops you off at the ship. Might be worth looking into. You'll have 20.00 in cab fare in no time!!
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St. Thomas excursions

Thank you for your help.

Old June 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Sunlover,

Thanks for the tip. i contacted Sunny Liston Tours, and indeed they come pick me up at the ship (choice of 9, 10 or 11 am pick up),and take me shopping until 12:00. Then we go for an 1 1/2 tour of St. Thomas and finally they takes for the rest of the afternoon at Saphire beach. They take me back to the ship. All this for $20. I think that is quite a deal!!

This a lot of help!

Eliane

Old June 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Eliane that sound great, one suggestion, try to do the beach in the am, the beach in the afternoon gets very, very hot.